Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/09/14 20:23:24 UTC

[drlvm] HARMONY-1363 - status update

I now have things building and running with the 1363 patch - more work
for the launcher was needed.

I'm now using the harmonyvm.properties file in the <vmdir>, and this is
working well.

I am now able to run tests, although I have one failure in StackTest,
and interestingly, the new testsuite that came with the thread manager
isn't running.

So progress.

geir

Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1363 - status update

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/9/19, Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>:
> On 9/19/06, Chris Gray <ch...@kiffer.be> wrote:

> > have
> > parse
> > >
> > > A ha!

> > > Ok - we should get that in as eol-native
> >
> > Wouldn't it be better (and safer) to fix the parser?
>

>  +1. Indeed this is the good thing for doing to avoid the above-mentioned
> problem in future.

This is exactly the feature shared parser has, see HARMONY-1243 and
HARMONY-1376.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 19, 2006, at 3:01 AM, Chris Gray wrote:

> On Monday 18 September 2006 18:14, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Pavel Pervov wrote:
>>> Tried it on Windows and found the problem which, as it looks
>>> like, have
>>> never been caught before.
>>> As I discovered, launcher uses platform specific line separators
>>> to parse
>>> harmonyvm.properties on a specific platform. But
>>> haromynvm.properties,
>>> which
>>> is copied into deploy, has unix line endings and is skipped. As the
>>> result, EM can't initialize.'
>>
>> A ha!
>>
>>> I workarounded this by running unix2dos on harmonyvm.properties.
>>
>> Ok - we should get that in as eol-native
>
> Wouldn't it be better (and safer) to fix the parser? Normally a
> properties
> file can contain any kind of line separators and still be parsed
> correctly,
> which is a Good Thing IMHO. E.g. according to the spec for
> java.util.Properties.load(),
> 	A natural line of input is terminated either by a set of line
> terminator
> characters (\n or \r or \r\n) or by the end of the file.

Yes - and I think there is a patch somewhere.  But we should keep
little nits like this under control.

geir

Posted by Chris Gray <ch...@kiffer.be>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/9/18, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com>:

> Pavel Pervov wrote:
> > Tried it on Windows and found the problem which, as it looks like, have
> > never been caught before.
> > As I discovered, launcher uses platform specific line separators to parse
> > harmonyvm.properties on a specific platform. But haromynvm.properties,
> > which
> > is copied into deploy, has unix line endings and is skipped. As the result,
> > EM can't initialize.'
>
> A ha!
>

> > I workarounded this by running unix2dos on harmonyvm.properties.
>
> Ok - we should get that in as eol-native

Actually, the same problem was already fixed for
bootclasspath.properties, and now there is shared properties parser in
luni/common. Also look at HARMONY-1376 - I believe these issues will
be fixed together - just go for a patch if you don't want to wait for
mine ;)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Pavel Pervov <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
Good progress!  I just now downloaded drlvm from apache repository to my
Linux 2.6.xx machine.  DRLVM builds and runs.  Below is a (rough) list of
tests that for some reason had problems on my test server.  Does anyone else
see the same thing?

exception/exceptions.c
threaGroupTest.xml
logManager.cpp
stack_iterator_ia32.cpp (problem with interpreter configuration??)

  - Weldon

On 9/14/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> HARMONY-1363 has been committed - I've done all the work under linux,
> and now doing on windows based on the checkin.
>
> Once I'm done there, I'll report back what I think we need to do first.
> There are clear problems with stack overflow (I had to disable
> StackTest and an assert in signals_ia32.cpp just to get it to run - the
> code is broken somewhere...) and from the app perspective, there appears
> to be some reflection problem with Tomcat.  It's a NPE under release
> build, and more info under debug.
>
> Anyway, moving forward....
>
> geir
>
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > I now have things building and running with the 1363 patch - more work
> > for the launcher was needed.
> >
> > I'm now using the harmonyvm.properties file in the <vmdir>, and this is
> > working well.
> >
> > I am now able to run tests, although I have one failure in StackTest,
> > and interestingly, the new testsuite that came with the thread manager
> > isn't running.
> >
> > So progress.
> >
> > geir

Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1363 - status update

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Friday 15 September 2006 02:46 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> HARMONY-1363 has been committed - I've done all the work under linux,
> and now doing on windows based on the checkin.
>
> Once I'm done there, I'll report back what I think we need to do first.
>   There are clear problems with stack overflow (I had to disable
> StackTest and an assert in signals_ia32.cpp just to get it to run - the
> code is broken somewhere...) and from the app perspective, there appears
> to be some reflection problem with Tomcat.  It's a NPE under release
> build, and more info under debug.
>
> Anyway, moving forward....

Yow! Yes, we're really moving forward. Thank you Geir!

Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1363 - status update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> 2006/9/15, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com>:
>>

>> Mikhail Fursov wrote:
>> > Testing WindowsXP build.
>> > Have to disable this assersion:
>> assert(is_name_lowercase(library_name))  in
>> > natives_support.cpp file to run Hello application.
>>
>> Yes, I was staring that that last night, trying to figure out why
>> lowercase stuff is so important.
>>
>> Any clue?
>>

> I am not sure why this assertion fails, but I think I know why it is
> important. On windows file paths may be different as strings but point to
> the same file. To detect duplications among native modules it is necessary
> to have unified form to compare names as strings. So it seems like all
> library names should be lowercase. I dunno why one of them doesn't satisfy
> this requirement.
>
> I think this assertion failure needs investigation before we decide it
> should be removed.

Yes, I'm not removing it because I didn't understand it :)

I'm looking into it now.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
2006/9/15, Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>:

> 2006/9/15, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>:
> > I am not sure why this assertion fails, but I think I know why it is
> > important. On windows file paths may be different as strings but point
> > the same file. To detect duplications among native modules it is
> necessary
> > to have unified form to compare names as strings. So it seems like all
> > library names should be lowercase. I dunno why one of them doesn't
> satisfy
> > this requirement.
> I recall there is port_filepath_canonical() method specifically to
> solve this, and at least classpath items were canonicalized during VM
> startup. Maybe this step is just missing for libraries... But why it
> started to fail only now?

If you experience this assertion failure only when running eclipse it may be
after VM startup. It may be ecliipse SWT natives library.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/9/15, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com>:

> Alexey Varlamov wrote:

> >> I am not sure why this assertion fails, but I think I know why it is
> >> important. On windows file paths may be different as strings but point to
> >> the same file. To detect duplications among native modules it is
> >> necessary
> >> to have unified form to compare names as strings. So it seems like all
> >> library names should be lowercase. I dunno why one of them doesn't
> >> satisfy
> >> this requirement.
> > I recall there is port_filepath_canonical() method specifically to
> > solve this, and at least classpath items were canonicalized during VM
> > startup. Maybe this step is just missing for libraries... But why it
> > started to fail only now?
>
> Because that was utterly insane to assume that all resources were in the
> same directory as the running executable, so I took that out at least
> for one thing and I'm going back now to solve.
>
> And I thought that method name was misleading, because it didn't return
> a canonical path for something, it returned the concatenation of the
> running executable's full path and whatever it was passed.  Like the
> name of my cat.
Hmm, this is either exaggeration or bug: looking at implementation, it
only appends current dir if an original path is relative. And supposed
that port_filepath_canonical() is targeted for ordinary files, then
it's behavior does not look insane, rather models general file access.
But applying this method for dynamic library name indeed would produce
queer result, which can drive you mad ;)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/9/15, Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>:

> > > Because this code (call to port_filepath_canonical()) is commented out
> > > with the last changes :-)
> >
> > Yes - to get anything to work w/ the launcher, I had to remove it.  I do
> > believe you are talking about classloader.cpp, right?
>
> Right! I understand why removed it. I just give a point to others
> (somebody asked) why there was no such failure before :-)

It appears, in fact, that assertion was added very recently, along
with lib names "canonicalization" :) And indeed some lack of
consideration shows up behind this quick-fix...

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/9/15, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>:
> 2006/9/15, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com>:
> >

> > Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> > > Testing WindowsXP build.
> > > Have to disable this assersion:
> > assert(is_name_lowercase(library_name))  in
> > > natives_support.cpp file to run Hello application.
> >
> > Yes, I was staring that that last night, trying to figure out why
> > lowercase stuff is so important.
> >
> > Any clue?
> >

> I am not sure why this assertion fails, but I think I know why it is
> important. On windows file paths may be different as strings but point to
> the same file. To detect duplications among native modules it is necessary
> to have unified form to compare names as strings. So it seems like all
> library names should be lowercase. I dunno why one of them doesn't satisfy
> this requirement.
I recall there is port_filepath_canonical() method specifically to
solve this, and at least classpath items were canonicalized during VM
startup. Maybe this step is just missing for libraries... But why it
started to fail only now?

> I think this assertion failure needs investigation before we decide it
> should be removed.
Agree.

Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1363 - status update

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Testing WindowsXP build.
> Have to disable this assersion: assert(is_name_lowercase(library_name))  in
> natives_support.cpp file to run Hello application.

Yes, I was staring that that last night, trying to figure out why
lowercase stuff is so important.

Any clue?

> After it disabled Eclipse3.1.1 runs OK!

That means you too are using some kind of custom build and not using the
harmony launcher.

Please - why aren't we all using the launcher?

geir

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
Testing WindowsXP build.
Have to disable this assersion: assert(is_name_lowercase(library_name))  in
natives_support.cpp file to run Hello application.
After it disabled Eclipse3.1.1 runs OK!

On 15 Sep 2006 16:05:25 +0700, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the 0x1E5 day of Apache Harmony Egor Pasko wrote:
> > On the 0x1E5 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
> > > Ok - I was testing with Tomcat 5.5.17 on Ubuntu and it seems to work
> > > wiht both release and debug builds.
> > >
> > > Strange problem is that something is really slow - server start time
> > > is something like 17 sec on my machine, but 1.7 w/ Sun.  Clearly
> > > something is broken.
> >
> > I am looking into the slow startup problem.
> > It'll take some time to download everything...
>
> hmm.. I had to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to dynamically link to
> libhysig.so (I remember there was a pretty java.exec some day, now it
> is gone)
>
> And got a failure as follows:
> $ ./java Hello
> free(): invalid pointer 0xbfffd148!
> free(): invalid pointer 0x40b7960e!
> free(): invalid pointer 0x40d6da7c!
> free(): invalid pointer 0xbfffd148!
> SIGSEGV in VM code.
> Stack trace:
>
> after that VM hang not responding to ^C, killed
> similar things on debug and release configs...
>
> SUSE 9
>
> Am I doing something wrong? do we build with 'build.sh' yet?
>
> --
> Egor Pasko, Intel Managed Runtime Division

Mikhail Fursov

Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1363 - status update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x1E8 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
>> Egor Pasko wrote:

>>> trying...
>>> "ant" from "enhanced/trunk" failed on "build.native", could not find
>>> lcms.h and icc34.h
>> sounds like a dependency problem...  we need to document those.  I'll do
>> that in a fresh install of Ubuntu sometime.
>
> yeah, but isn't it a kind of false dependence? I wonder, why we need
> liblcms.. need to investigate this.. maybe, unset HAVE_LCMS_H ...
>
>>> looks exactly as this failure:
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-commits/200607.mbox/%3C3783436.1153485794952.JavaMail.jira@brutus%3E

>>> this one does not allow me to build.sh update on downloading
>>> XALAN. This is a kind of problem that appeared when classlib was not
>>> built, but now it looks like built successfully.
>>>
>>> trying more...
>> Simple.  You need to tell the DRLVM build where to find the built
>> classlib.  Right now it assumes a structure like :
>>
>>   enhanced/classlib/trunk
>>   enhanced/drlvm/trunk
>>
>> but with the "federated build" structure of
>>
>>   enhanced/trunk/
>>                 working_vm/
>>                 working_classlib/
>>
>> I just put a file called "drlvm.properties" into
>>
>>   enhanced/trunk/working_vm/build
>>
>> that contains
>>
>> external.dep.CLASSLIB.loc=../../../working_vm
>
> gotcha! :)
> external.dep.CLASSLIB.loc=../../../working_classlib

Doh!  of course :)

> maybe, put it in SVN directly? are there any caveats?

Well, I don't think so - the only problem I can imagine is what happens
when you do the federated build from enhanced/trunk, but now that I
think of it, I've been working this way for months now, and it hasn't
gotten in the way.

I'll check it in.

geir

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
I'm trying on Ubuntu 5 and I'm getting problems as well.  Problem is
that it's in a Parallels VM on OS X and I can't figure out how to cut
and paste between them...

It's a really useless stacktrace w/ addr2line...

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x1E8 day of Apache Harmony Oliver Deakin wrote:
> I have taken a look at the Linux makefile for launcher, and I notice
> that libhysig.so is not listed in MDLLIBFILES, but libhyport.so and
> libhythr.so are. Adding "$(DLLPATH)libhysig.so" to this line
> of the makefile solves the LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem for me.
> Do you see the same thing Egor?

I do. Thanks, Oliver!

Here is the patch:
--- working_classlib/modules/luni/src/main/native/launcher/linux/makefile       (revision 447251)
+++ working_classlib/modules/luni/src/main/native/launcher/linux/makefile       (working copy)
@@ -21,7 +21,7 @@
 BUILDFILES = $(SHAREDSUB)main.o $(SHAREDSUB)cmain.o \
        $(SHAREDSUB)launcher_copyright.o $(SHAREDSUB)strbuf.o \
        $(SHAREDSUB)libhlp.o
-MDLLIBFILES = $(DLLPATH)libhyprt.so $(DLLPATH)libhythr.so
+MDLLIBFILES = $(DLLPATH)libhyprt.so $(DLLPATH)libhythr.so $(DLLPATH)libhysig.so
 EXENAME = $(EXEPATH)java

 include $(HY_HDK)/build/make/rules.mk

'./java -showversion Hello' fails as previously.
...under investigation...

Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1363 - status update

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Egor Pasko wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>> this binary cannot find libhysig.so:
>> $ ldd deploy/jre/bin/java | grep hysig
>>         libhysig.so => not found
>>
>>> In build/default/jre/bin, is there a libhysig.so anywhere?
>>
>> yes, in deploy/jre/bin/
>
> That's really weird.  I can do the same, and it resolves on Ubuntu 6
> w/ no LD_LIBRARY_PATH set.

I get the same thing on my SLES9 machine. If I dont manually set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I get an error message:

./java: error while loading shared libraries: libhysig.so: cannot open

"ldd ./java" gives me the following:

        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libhyprt.so =>
/harmony/svn-checkouts/test/deploy/jdk/jre/bin/libhyprt.so (0x40018000)
        libhythr.so =>
/harmony/svn-checkouts/test/deploy/jdk/jre/bin/libhythr.so (0x40035000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x4004c000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x4006f000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x4007f000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40199000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
        libhysig.so => not found

so oddly it appears that libhyprt.so and libhythr.so are found,
but libhysig.so is not, even though they are in the same directory!

I have taken a look at the Linux makefile for launcher, and I notice
that libhysig.so is not listed in MDLLIBFILES, but libhyport.so and
libhythr.so are. Adding "$(DLLPATH)libhysig.so" to this line
of the makefile solves the LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem for me.
Do you see the same thing Egor?

Regards,
Oliver

> geir

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1363 - status update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x1E8 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
>> Egor Pasko wrote:

>>> waiting a little bit gives what's expected: test failures:
>>> ...../lnx_ia32_gcc_debug/deploy/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libhysig.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>>
>> Hm. You shouldn't have to set any LD_LIBRARY_PATH - the harmony
>> launcher is doing that.
>
> What is the launcher?
> deploy/jre/bin/java?

yes

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x1E8 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
> Egor Pasko wrote:

> >> SUSE 9

> >> many tests pass, hm..
> >> but it runs on the RI from my path with
> >> org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher
> > waiting a little bit gives what's expected: test failures:
> > ...../lnx_ia32_gcc_debug/deploy/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libhysig.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >

> Hm. You shouldn't have to set any LD_LIBRARY_PATH - the harmony
> launcher is doing that.

What is the launcher?
deploy/jre/bin/java?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x1E8 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
> Hm.
>
> What platform are you running on?

SUSE 9

> I can build and run on Ubuntu 6, 5 and WinXP in debug and release.
>
> Do your tests pass?

many tests pass, hm..
but it runs on the RI from my path with org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher

> using the launcher is the default now :
>
> $ cd working_vm
> $ cd build
> $ sh build.sh

yep, sometimes, things like this:
sh build.sh update

> $ cd deploy/jre/bin
> $ ./java -version
> $ ./java Foo
>
> works...

well, the ./java of mine catches no runtime path for libhysig.so,
there is only LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the last try...

Something is definitely wrong. And not many ideas I have how to repair

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Hm.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/9/15, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com>:

> Egor Pasko wrote:

> >> I am looking into the slow startup problem.
> >> It'll take some time to download everything...
> >
> > hmm.. I had to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to dynamically link to
> > libhysig.so (I remember there was a pretty java.exec some day, now it
> > is gone)
>
> There should be no need for that if you are using the Harmony launcher,
> as it sets things up properly.

I have the same problem as Egor. And, kernel.tests fail due to this -
i..e when I run build.sh test, smoke tests pass and then kernel tests
fail.
BTW, I recall this is actual also for classlib tests on j9 - simple
"ant test" does not work.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
15 Sep 2006 16:05:25 +0700, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>:
> On the 0x1E5 day of Apache Harmony Egor Pasko wrote:
> > On the 0x1E5 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
> > > Ok - I was testing with Tomcat 5.5.17 on Ubuntu and it seems to work
> > > wiht both release and debug builds.
> > >
> > > Strange problem is that something is really slow - server start time
> > > is something like 17 sec on my machine, but 1.7 w/ Sun.  Clearly
> > > something is broken.
> >
> > I am looking into the slow startup problem.
> > It'll take some time to download everything...
>
> hmm.. I had to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to dynamically link to
> libhysig.so (I remember there was a pretty java.exec some day, now it
> is gone)
>
> And got a failure as follows:
> $ ./java Hello
> free(): invalid pointer 0xbfffd148!
> free(): invalid pointer 0x40b7960e!
> free(): invalid pointer 0x40d6da7c!
> free(): invalid pointer 0xbfffd148!
> SIGSEGV in VM code.
> Stack trace:
>
> after that VM hang not responding to ^C, killed
> similar things on debug and release configs...

Ooops.  Got it exactly the same way, but even after killing console is frozen:
<console------------>
$> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ./java Hello
free(): invalid pointer 0xbfffd988!
free(): invalid pointer 0x40b7960e!
free(): invalid pointer 0x40d6e93c!
free(): invalid pointer 0xbfffd988!
SIGSEGV in VM code.
Stack trace:
</console------------>

And one more crash:
<console------------>
$> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ./java
Harmony Java launcher
Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2006 The Apache Software
Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
java [-vm:vmdll -vmdir:dir -D... [-X...]] [args]
java: /nfs/ins/proj/drl/coreapi/avarlamo/harmony/linux.ia32/svn-repo/drlvm/vm/thread/src/thread_native_fat_monitor.c:183:
monitor_wait_impl: Assertion `saved_recursion<1' failed.
Aborted
</console------------>

It is curious that "build.sh test" passes smoke tests...

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Vladimir Gorr wrote:
> On 9/15/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> I now have things building and running with the 1363 patch - more work
>> for the launcher was needed.
>>
>> I'm now using the harmonyvm.properties file in the <vmdir>, and this is
>> working well.
>>
>> I am now able to run tests, although I have one failure in StackTest,
>> and interestingly, the new testsuite that came with the thread manager
>> isn't running.
>

> This problem will disappear after applying the H-1431 patch.

Nice, I read through the patch, and I like it.

However, as I did spend some time trying to grok the smoke and cunit
test frameworks, can you write a short paragraph explaining why it had
to be changed?

I don't understand the theory behind the test system, why it had parts
spread in places like vm.xml...

geir

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.