Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Steve Mactaggart <st...@golftime.com.au> on 2004/05/12 03:42:51 UTC

Proposed Enhancments to HTMLLayout

Hey,

I brought up the idea of enhancing the HTMLLayout on the users list, and it
seems that there is no enhanced version, so I'm going to start working on
one that can hopefully benefit us all.

I guess my aim is:
To allow formatting of the HTMLLayout in much the same way as with the
PatternLayout does.

I'd like the user to be able to
- Format of Datestamp
- Format the detail of the classname
- Show method name/line number (if required)
- Show specific MDC/NDC values, not just all
- and much more

I'd like to discuss what sort of features people would like and some
possible ways of implementing.

1st cut, I'd like to implement the layout management in the same way as the
pattern layout, using %? Values for each type and some sort of delimiter to
break up columns.

Ie.
	%d{dd MMM yy H:mm:ss} %t %-20.20c{1} %-5.5p %m%n
Where each white space is configured to run in its own column.

After that more customisations (if needed) like colours or word highlighting
or row colouring.
I don't see these to be a core component of logging, so will not look at
them until the first set are done, but some people may find it useful to
configure these features too.

Thoughts?

Steve Mactaggart
Systems Architect