Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Haifa Murad Hasan Abdulla Al Balooshi <U2...@zu.ac.ae> on 2005/10/24 09:17:57 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache IPv6 config help please

I downloaded and installed the binary for apache_2.0.54-win32-x86-no_ssl
on windows XP service pack 2 (it works fine with IPv4)

I want to enable IPv6

In the config/httpd file, I added
listen [::1]

I also tried
listen [fe80::1]

I got this error when I started apache:

[Fri Oct 14 19:13:13 2005] [crit] (OS 11001)No such host is known.  : alloc_list
ener: failed to set up sockaddr for [::1]
Syntax error on line 121 of C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/conf/httpd.con
f:
Listen setup failed
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  18...

Can anyone help me, please? - I want to know how to enable apache for IPv6

Re: [users@httpd] Apache IPv6 config help please

Posted by Chris Babstock <ca...@gmail.com>.
Now, I could be very wrong here.. I just did a bit of my own research on
IPv6 (because I didn't know much about it) and apparantly the equivelant of
128.0.0.1 <http://128.0.0.1> is ::1/128.. Don't you need to add the /128 at
the end?

On 10/24/05, Haifa Murad Hasan Abdulla Al Balooshi <U2...@zu.ac.ae>
wrote:

> I downloaded and installed the binary for apache_2.0.54-win32-x86-no_ssl
> on windows XP service pack 2 (it works fine with IPv4)
>
> I want to enable IPv6
>
> In the config/httpd file, I added
> listen [::1]
>
> I also tried
> listen [fe80::1]
>
> I got this error when I started apache:
>
> [Fri Oct 14 19:13:13 2005] [crit] (OS 11001)No such host is known. :
> alloc_list
> ener: failed to set up sockaddr for [::1]
> Syntax error on line 121 of C:/Program Files/Apache
> Group/Apache2/conf/httpd.con
> f:
> Listen setup failed
> Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit. 18...
>

> Can anyone help me, please? - I want to know how to enable apache for IPv6

Chris Babstock
Cell: 506-549-9623
email: cababstock@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache IPv6 config help please

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:17:57AM +0400, Haifa Murad Hasan Abdulla Al Balooshi wrote:
> I want to enable IPv6
>
> In the config/httpd file, I added
> listen [::1]

This is close, but not quite there. You need to specify a port aswell;

	Listen [::1]:80

Will ask Apache to listen, on port 80, on the ::1 IPv6 loopback address.

> I also tried
> listen [fe80::1]

This will not work, fe80::/16 is a link-local prefix, those addresses
are not routed like ordinary unicast addresses, and you cannot listen on
them without specifying an interface (which is not portable).

> Can anyone help me, please? - I want to know how to enable apache for IPv6

If you have IPv6 enabled on your host, and Apache has IPv6 built-in (an
almost certainty if you are using 2.0.x), all you need do is;

Listen 80

And Apache will listen in both IPv4 and IPv6.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache IPv6 config help please

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
It's not built for IPv6 as that would require -all- Apache users to install
the IPv6 layer (including win9x and NT users, who would have the greater
hardship.)

I'll investigate providing an NT-only, IPv6 flavor of the libapr.dll, for
those users interested.  I need to confirm, but believe that only libapr.dll
must be replaced for full IPv6 support.

Bill