Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Richard Dallaway <ri...@dallaway.com> on 2002/02/21 17:53:06 UTC

servlet deployment / openorb-1.2.0.jar

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong to cause a "Cannot create resource URL.
Please set the openorb.home property" error?

I've been trying to deploy a serlvet which calls Xindice into Tomcat
4.0.1.  I thought I'd be able to bundle all the required JARs into the
web deployment and all would be fine.

My WAR file contains:
META-INF/
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
WEB-INF/
WEB-INF/lib/
WEB-INF/lib/openorb-1.2.0.jar
WEB-INF/lib/xalan-2.0.1.jar
WEB-INF/lib/xerces-1.4.3.jar
WEB-INF/lib/xindice.jar
WEB-INF/lib/xml-apis-1.0.jar
WEB-INF/lib/xmldb.jar
...along with all my classes and JSPs etc.

When I deploy this and try my servlets out I get:

org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException: A connection to the Database instance
'db' could not be created. Error: Cannot create resource URL. Please set
the openorb.home property.
	at org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl.init(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl.getCollection(Unknown Source)
	at org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:194)
	at org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:157)
	at
com.dallaway.books.servlets.XindiceSearchServlet.init(XindiceSearchServlet.java:91)

This exception is thrown from:
	collection = DatabaseManager.getCollection(db); (line 91, above)

To get this error to go away,  I added openorb-1.2.0.jar to Tomcat's
classpath.  So...that works... but it's not a great way to deploy an app.

Better ways? Clues? Please?

Thanks
Richard

Re: servlet deployment / openorb-1.2.0.jar

Posted by Richard Dallaway <ri...@dallaway.com>.
Kimbro Staken wrote:
> Just get rid of OpenORB. The client side of the equation should work
> fine with the default ORB included with the JVM. OpenORB is only really
> needed on the server.

Thanks for the clue... that works fine for me now.

Cheers

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@xmldatabases.org>.

On Thursday, February 21, 2002, at 09:53 AM, Richard Dallaway wrote:

> Anyone know what I'm doing wrong to cause a "Cannot create resource URL.
> Please set the openorb.home property" error?
>
> I've been trying to deploy a serlvet which calls Xindice into Tomcat 4.0.
> 1.  I thought I'd be able to bundle all the required JARs into the web
> deployment and all would be fine.
>
> My WAR file contains:
> META-INF/
> META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> WEB-INF/
> WEB-INF/lib/
> WEB-INF/lib/openorb-1.2.0.jar
> WEB-INF/lib/xalan-2.0.1.jar
> WEB-INF/lib/xerces-1.4.3.jar
> WEB-INF/lib/xindice.jar
> WEB-INF/lib/xml-apis-1.0.jar
> WEB-INF/lib/xmldb.jar
> ...along with all my classes and JSPs etc.
>
> When I deploy this and try my servlets out I get:
>
> org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException: A connection to the Database instance
> 'db' could not be created. Error: Cannot create resource URL. Please set
> the openorb.home property.
> 	at org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl.init(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl.getCollection(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at
> org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:194)
> 	at
> org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:157)
> 	at
> com.dallaway.books.servlets.XindiceSearchServlet.init
> (XindiceSearchServlet.java:91)
>
> This exception is thrown from:
> 	collection = DatabaseManager.getCollection(db); (line 91, above)
>
> To get this error to go away,  I added openorb-1.2.0.jar to Tomcat's
> classpath.  So...that works... but it's not a great way to deploy an app.
>
> Better ways? Clues? Please?
>
> Thanks
> Richard

Kimbro Staken - http://www.kstaken.org - http://www.xmldatabases.org
Apache Xindice native XML database http://xml.apache.org
XML:DB Initiative http://www.xmldb.org
Senior Technologist (Your company name here)