Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net> on 2014/07/17 11:46:12 UTC

.Net versions review

Re: .Net versions review

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM, eberhard speer jr. <se...@ducis.net> wrote:
> ...It seems to me that since those clients were developed in unison with
> the java client, they should be release together as well, so that I
> think should be our aim....

I agree that it's good to release those at about the same time than
the java client, but it's also IMO better to consider them a separate
release, so that if one or the other fails the Incubator PMC vote we
can at least release something.

Thanks for preparing those, I hope to be able to review today or tomorrow.

-Bertrand

Re: .Net versions review

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Will check it out, there was no copy in /releases when I last checked or
voted on that thread[?]

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Re: .Net versions review

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: .Net versions review

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Don't mean to be picky, but based on

   - devicemap-java-client-1.0.0/
   <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/tags/releases/devicemap-java-client-1.0.0/>

I believe I saw an archive called
"devicemap-client-java-1.0.0-incubating.tar" earlier.

First, should the tag in "releases" also use the postfix "-incubator" and
second, would it be possible if the tags and download archives have names
matching as close as possible?[?]
(anywhere, regardless of Java, VB or C#)

Thanks,
Werner

Re: .Net versions review

Posted by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net>.

Re: .Net versions review

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM, eberhard speer jr. <se...@ducis.net> wrote:
> ...following Bertrand's guidance, I've updated the .Net Review release
> page : http://www.ducis.net/static/docs/dotnet/rel.html ...

I had a look at the following archives:
SHA1(./csharp/devicemap.zip)= ddec155204384d3e658ed6a553a79509312afddd
SHA1(./vbnet/devicemap.zip)= 191956b5e20650ce31c7ed42be19f888925ea2b7

Using different names for the C# and VB.Net devicemap.zip archives
would be less confusing. Also, both need to include -incubating in
their name. I suggest devicemap-csharp-incubating-1.0.0.zip (or
whatever the version number is) and the same with -vbnet.

I don't see svn tags under
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/tags/releases/ ,
could you create or move them there, one tag per release archive?
What's under the tags should match what's in the release archives.

Both archives contain a number of binary files, including .exe .dll
and even a .git folder - that's not ok, Apache releases source code
only. Can you reduce them to the actual source code and remove
anything that's not required for someone to build the software
themselves?

I see that there's also a good number of binary files in svn under
devicemap/csharp and devicemap/vbnet. I'm clueless about C# and VB.Net
but I hope this is not needed - we should also have only source code
in our svn repository. Is that something that you can easily fix, or
do those environment require binaries to be checked in in order to
build the projects?

HTH,
-Bertrand