Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Csaba Gabor <cs...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/29 17:24:01 UTC

Report on Upgrading from Apache 2.0.28 to 2.0.35

There was a question about this in the past day, so here is my report:
I upgraded Apache 2.0.28 to 2.0.35 yesterday because I wanted to install
PHP 4.2 as a module and couldn't seem to with 2.0.28.  And the install
went smoothly, more or less.  There were only two issues for me, both
just requiring some time to wade through.

1)  When you install apache and it asks you what directory to install
to, you think, "How nice, I'm driving."  But what's this?  Apache2
takes your directory of choice and appends a NEEDLESS Apache2
onto the end of it.  I say needless, because you can get rid of it
by editing the registry and simply kill all Apache2/ references and
don't forget the ini file.  There's even a program out there that
helps you with this from PC Week called COA2 (your milage may vary,
but that's what I did with Apache 2.028 on my Win2K system and it
was happy enough), which is supposed to help you move programs
from one directory to another (however, if I remember correctly,
COA2 does not repair multibyte strings - you have to do that
part manually).  Having forgotten about this nasty habit of
Apache2, I was a bit peeved when I discovered that Apache2
was once again liberally sprinkled throughout my registry (about 130
entries - about 30 more than I had for my 2.0.28 directory).  Too
many other things were broken for me to want to chance COA2 (since
it wouldn't be to an empty directory) so I manually hunted for all
Apache2 references in the registry and whenever I found one next
to the old directory (which was one level up), I removed the old
entry and killed the old Apache files except the old httpd.conf
file, which I had previously saved.  At this point I had a working
Apache2 one level lower than my originally planned directory for it.

2)  However, I wanted it to work in the same way that it had been
configured for previously.  That is, I wanted to use my old httpd.conf
file that I had saved prior to starting installation.  A simple
substitution of .conf files did not work.  That is to say, I took
the old httpd.conf file and changed all Apache2 directory references
appropriately and presto, no more working Apache.  But there were
substantial differences in the base httpd.conf files supplied by 2.0.28
and 2.0.35.  So I used the Win2K command line utility fc to compare
the new and old apache httpd.conf files and incrementally added
the changes to the new one.  There were a lot of differences so
it was about half an hour.  Apache's console monitor made this
process easy since it has the Start and Restart buttons, it's
easy to check whether your latest changes lead to a
working version or not.

Happy upgrading,
    Csaba Gabor