Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Dirk.vanGulik" <Di...@jrc.it> on 1997/06/27 16:06:10 UTC

.htaccess

Is it intentional that the '.htaccess' file, when
present in the ServerRoot and/or one level above the
DocRoot gets seen (and parsed accordingly) ?

Dw.

Re: [Apache] .htaccess

Posted by Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>.
On Fri, Jun 27, 1997 at 04:06:10PM +0200, Dirk.vanGulik wrote:
> Is it intentional that the '.htaccess' file, when
> present in the ServerRoot and/or one level above the
> DocRoot gets seen (and parsed accordingly) ?
>
> Dw.

It's my understanding that apache searches for .htaccess files in every
directory up to and including the directory the file is in. So, if the
URI: /blah/file.html is retrieved, which maps to
/my/server/htdocs/blah/file.html, apache will search for .htaccess files in:

/.htaccess
/my/.htaccess

This can be turned off by turning off all the overrides for /, and then
enabling them for the serverroot and any user directory paths.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                    Computer Center
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org

Re: .htaccess

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Yup that's intentional.

Ugh, does it fstat the fd after opening an .htaccess?  Probably not.  Ugh,
another security bug.  Will check later.

Dean