Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2020/02/22 05:29:16 UTC

Java 11?

I remember a few months back that there was a discussion that from that
point forward James would require Java 11.   But when I look at the root
pom.xml file the source and target versions for javac are set to '8'.  I
have a separate build process for my custom mailets jar.  I changed
everything to compile my mailets in java 11.  Now james won't start
because it says I have an unsupported java version for my mailet
classes.  So I obviously missed something about requiring to move to
java 11, or did that simply get shot down and I missed it?  I suspect
all of my problems with class mismatch exceptions are somehow related to
not matching up the correct java version(s) for build/run/source/target.

Can someone just summarize what the required/recommended versions are
for everything?

Javac compiler version?

javac source / target parameters (apparently both are java 8)

runtime jre version?

This is all in reference to the latest master branch of james.

Thx

Jerry