Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Anon Hxy <an...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/16 05:08:45 UTC

[VOTE] PIP-191: Support batched message using entry filter

Dear Community,

I'd like to start a VOTE on "PIP-191: Support batched message using entry
filter."

The proposal can be read at [0] and the discussion thread is available at
[1]

Voting will stay open for at least 48h.

[0] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/16680
[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/cdw5c2lpj5nwzl2zqyv8mphsqqv9vozj

Thanks,
Xiaoyu

Re: [VOTE] PIP-191: Support batched message using entry filter

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
-1

I am sorry but I don't think that this PIP brings some improvements.
I was out and I wasn't able to participate in the discussion.
The final proposal is to change the way the Producer creates batches but:
1) Messages will be still "batched" so the EntryFilter won't see
benefits (the filter cannot assume that all the clients have this
feature enabled, so they must defensively unpack all the batched
messages)
2) It looks like you simply want to build a new BatcherBuilder
(https://github.com/apache/pulsar/blob/master/pulsar-client-api/src/main/java/org/apache/pulsar/client/api/BatcherBuilder.java)

I believe that this PIP in the current form is partially superseded by
PIP-189 "No batching if only one message in batch"
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/16619

We can continue the discussion on the discussion thread or on the PIP GH issue

Enrico

Posted by Qiang Huang <qi...@gmail.com>.
+1(non-binding)

--