Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Max Rydahl Andersen <ma...@eos.dk> on 2003/07/29 08:39:14 UTC

Chainsaw 2 filtering problems...

Hi!

First: I like the new Chainsaw 2 ;)

Second: The filtering mechanism should work with regular expression if
ORO is installed and if not fallback to case-insensitive indexof
filtering, right ?

Why is it then that enterin '.' (a dot - whichi should match everything)
filters out ALL lines ?
And entering 'e' (the letter e, which is part of 99,9% of my messages)
instead also filters out ALL lines ?

I simply can't make the filtering mechanism work :(

Any ideas ?

/max

Customising Chainsaw

Posted by Milind Rao <mi...@bellsouth.net>.
My log message is a complex XML element since there was other information, such as hardware, message ID,
replacement parameters etc. that I needed in the message.

A log file consists of multiple Log message elements.  A Log message would be something like
   <Log>
        <Level>Info</Level>
        <Date>07-07-2003T12:43</Date>
        <Hardware>Camera1</Hardware>
        <Source>Tracking</Source>
        <MessageID>MSG1023</MessageID>
   </Log>

To view the logs, I need to have columns for the elements in the log XML (Hardware, source etc.) instead of one single
column for the message.  Also, level & date would have to be extracted from the Log XML element.  The message text has
to be looked up, based on the message ID, from a resource file for a locale.

I couldn't make out from the Chainsaw home page whether this would be easy to support/add on to Chainsaw or whether I
should just roll my own.

Regards
Milind

Re: Chainsaw 2 filtering wishes...

Posted by Max Rydahl Andersen <ma...@eos.dk>.

>>>That's probably a performance killer at this stage.  We could probably
>>>easily allow you to Select two rows, and provide either a status bar
>>>and/or popup option to display the time difference, but doing it for
>>>every single row is probably something I would prefer not to do at this
>>>stage.
>>>

>>This should not be a performance killer ....
>>tabModel.getValueAt(timestampcol, row) -
>>tabModel.getValueAt(timestampcol, row-1) isn't
>>that much of a killer is it (it is constant) ? (it should ofcourse be an
>>option - not something always done)
>>

>Doing this for every single row would be... Perhaps you didn't mean
>that, I was under the impression you wanted each row to display a time
>value which is the elapsed time since the previous row.
>
>Or maybe you did mean this. Also from a purest point of view, each row
>would have to know what row number it was, and be able to find out the
>previous row which is a bit 'coupley'.  It certainly might be possible,
>but me personally I would just highlight two rows and click an action to
>tell me the difference.

I did mean it for every row - but I meant it for the visible view, I
want the difference in times between the visual rows dependent on
the filtered rows.

/max

Re: Chainsaw 2 filtering wishes...

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.
On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 17:14, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> >>2. Any way to show elapsed time between visible rows - instead of just
> >>the event time ?
> >>

> >That's probably a performance killer at this stage.  We could probably
> >easily allow you to Select two rows, and provide either a status bar
> >and/or popup option to display the time difference, but doing it for
> >every single row is probably something I would prefer not to do at this
> >stage.
> >

> This should not be a performance killer ....
> tabModel.getValueAt(timestampcol, row) -
> tabModel.getValueAt(timestampcol, row-1) isn't
> that much of a killer is it (it is constant) ? (it should ofcourse be an
> option - not something always done)

Doing this for every single row would be... Perhaps you didn't mean
that, I was under the impression you wanted each row to display a time
value which is the elapsed time since the previous row.

Or maybe you did mean this. Also from a purest point of view, each row
would have to know what row number it was, and be able to find out the
previous row which is a bit 'coupley'.  It certainly might be possible,
but me personally I would just highlight two rows and click an action to
tell me the difference.

> Lazy you ;)
> http://traxel.com/lumbermill/
>
> Check it out - there hierachy management is better than LF5 IMHO ;)

Many thx!

Paul

Re: Chainsaw 2 filtering wishes...

Posted by Max Rydahl Andersen <ma...@eos.dk>.

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.
On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 19:45, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> Know it works I got some wishes/ideas ;)
>

> 1. Let me select wether I want to use regular expression or case
> insensitive matching
>   (actually, enabling caseinsensitve regular expression would be a nice
> option)

A good idea.

> 2. Any way to show elapsed time between visible rows - instead of just
> the event time ?

That's probably a performance killer at this stage.  We could probably
easily allow you to Select two rows, and provide either a status bar
and/or popup option to display the time difference, but doing it for
every single row is probably something I would prefer not to do at this
stage.

> 3. Let me define a SimpleDateFormat expression for the time stamp rows.

Another good idea, we've thought of that one too, we're working towards
some ideas for the preferences side of things, so this one will
definitely go in.

> 4. Let me define which part of the Logger name I want to see.
>    e.g. in x.y.z.some.package.LoggerTableView I would like to see
>     LoggerTableView more than I like to see x.y.z..some... (maybe get
> inspired of
> eclipse's package name "compression" scheme

Another good one (this also drives me a little crazy).

Posted by Max Rydahl Andersen <ma...@eos.dk>.
[...]

yup - that's about it ;)

Good work guys!

/max