Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Mohit <mo...@huawei.com> on 2011/02/24 11:06:44 UTC

Query Regarding HIVE-1535.

Hello Authors,

As tested against latest Hive build and Hadoop 20.1.

Kindly provide me the query or the list of queries for which this defect was
tested against, as I see no test case in it and when I'm running queries
assuming which were being run by He Yongqiang while testing the scenarios,
I'm not able to re-produce the scenario.

I'm ran queries in below sequence :-

1 . set hive.exec.drop.ignorenonexistent=false;

2 . create table page_test(view INT, userid INT, page_url STRING)
PARTITIONED BY(dt STRING, country STRING) STORED AS A TEXTFILE;

3 . LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH '/home/test.txt' OVERWRITE INTO TABLE page_test
PARTITION(dt='10-10-2010',country='US');

4 . LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH '/home/test.txt' OVERWRITE INTO TABLE page_test
PARTITION(dt='10-12-2010',country='IN');

// This query fails during semantic analysis, since it is invalid partition
and don't belong to partition spec of page_test.

5 . ALTER TABLE page_test DROP
PARTITION(invalid='23-02-2010',notexist='UK');

and when I turn ON the property hive.exec.drop.ignorenonexistent, hive is
silent and OK.

So far good, and no issues.

//However there is another case, in which partition is a valid spec but
doesn't exists, as I have only [dt='10-10-2010',country='US'] and
[dt='10-12-2010',country='IN']

6 . ALTER TABLE page_test DROP PARTITION (dt='23-02-2010',country='UK');

but it doesn't results in any exception, I'm getting OK response on console.

As per this defect  fix, it should actually fail with console error message

Partition : [{dt='23-02-2010',country='UK'}] does not exist.

I may be wrong, or not aware of enough user scenarior covering the scope of
this defect, kindly help me providing some insights.

-Mohit

but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is