Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Frazier <ef...@kwinternet.com> on 2003/01/28 04:30:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Max Connections, and processes that won't hang up.

Hi,

This mod_rewrite discussion has kind of brought up an issue I am having. I
am using mod_rewrite with 1.x to redirect requests for images to thttpd,  I
also compiled Apache with a higher Max_Clients,(I forgot what it is called
exactly, you change that in httpd.h in src/includes) when I run the server
in real life, it heads straight through the roof, spawns all 750 possible
processes. If I run http_load to benchmark the server while running on port
8080 to keep out the real requests, then things turn out well, it looks like
it is performing very well in fact. But in real life with a real web browser
it defiantly is not. It seems like the connections never want to hang up. I
have had this problem with mod_proxy before where you finish loading a page,
but the connection doesn't get dropped until it times out. If I get rid of
the rewrite rules and just server things up with Apache, things work ok, but
slower than they should.  We are running on a machine with 500M that should
be able to handle 750 processes with no problem since they are only 1.7M in
size with about 800K shared. But in anycase we also don't have enough
traffic to spawn more than about 150.

If anyone has any clues on this, I have a lot more detail on what I did at
work, but I just thought I would post here in case this behavior sounds
familiar to someone. Another thing I  really can't understand, is the web
server on this Linux machine has max connections set to 750 but httpd -V
doesn't show that it was specially compiled. I don't get it!

Presents and accolades to anyone who can help.. Very seriously, post card,
coffee mug, second born child name your price :)

Thanks,

Eric

(250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)

"Inquiry is fatal to certainty." -- Will Durant

Re: [users@httpd] Max Connections, and processes that won't hang up.

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
Eric Frazier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This mod_rewrite discussion has kind of brought up an issue I am having. I
> am using mod_rewrite with 1.x to redirect requests for images to thttpd,  I
> also compiled Apache with a higher Max_Clients,(I forgot what it is called
> exactly, you change that in httpd.h in src/includes) when I run the server
> in real life, it heads straight through the roof, spawns all 750 possible
> processes. If I run http_load to benchmark the server while running on port
> 8080 to keep out the real requests, then things turn out well, it looks like
> it is performing very well in fact. But in real life with a real web browser
> it defiantly is not. It seems like the connections never want to hang up. I
> have had this problem with mod_proxy before where you finish loading a page,
> but the connection doesn't get dropped until it times out. If I get rid of
> the rewrite rules and just server things up with Apache, things work ok, but
> slower than they should.  We are running on a machine with 500M that should
> be able to handle 750 processes with no problem since they are only 1.7M in
> size with about 800K shared. But in anycase we also don't have enough
> traffic to spawn more than about 150.
>
> If anyone has any clues on this, I have a lot more detail on what I did at
> work, but I just thought I would post here in case this behavior sounds
> familiar to someone. Another thing I  really can't understand, is the web
> server on this Linux machine has max connections set to 750 but httpd -V
> doesn't show that it was specially compiled. I don't get it!
>
> Presents and accolades to anyone who can help.. Very seriously, post card,
> coffee mug, second born child name your price :)
>

> Thanks,
>

> Eric
>

> (250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)
>
> "Inquiry is fatal to certainty." -- Will Durant

max requests and max child prosesses and max clients can be set in the
httpd.conf,
you don't need to cimpile it in.