Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Julian Davchev <jm...@drun.net> on 2009/01/15 15:53:37 UTC

Is it just me or multicore default is broken? Can't ping

Hi,
I am trying to setup multicore solr. So I just download default one with
jetty.......goto example/
and run
java -Dsolr.solr.home=multicore -jar start.jar

All looks smooth without errors on startup.
Also can can open admin at

http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/admin/

But then trying to ping
http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/admin/ping

I get  error 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

And tons of exceptions in background starting with nullpointer

Anyone have a clue? Is solr stable to be used or multicore is something
reacently added and not to be trusted yet?

Re: Is it just me or multicore default is broken? Can't ping

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Also can can open admin at
:
: http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/admin/

: But then trying to ping
: http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/admin/ping
:
: I get  error 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

The ping URL only works if you configure the PingRequestHandler with a
default query, or use the extremely deprecated <pingQuery> syntax in the
<admin> block of your solrconfig.xml ... the multicore example has a very
bare bones solrconfig.xml, so neither of this things is configured.

the error you are seeing is fairly unfortunate ... logging a better error
message about the lack of configurtion would be ideal, i've opened
SOLR-965 to track this as an improvement.

-Hoss

Re: Is it just me or multicore default is broken? Can't ping

Posted by Fergus McMenemie <fe...@twig.me.uk>.
Julian,

This is with the nightly from jan 12.

I am using mutli core and playing about with DIH. I cant its
Interactive development mode to work properly and suspect
that to use it I need to run in single core mode.

I am still developing, so I have nothing setup within tomcat startup
files, it all depends on the directory I launch tomcat from which is
/Volumes/spare/ts:-

fergus: ls -al /Volumes/spare/ts
   total 2657816
   drwxrwxrwx  19 root    fergus        646 Jan 14 11:06 .
   drwxrwxr-x  18 root    admin         680 Jan 13 10:46 ..
   -rw-rw-rw-@  1 fergus  fergus       6148 Jan 16 14:58 .DS_Store
   drwxr-xr-x  16 fergus  fergus        544 Apr  8  2008 apache-solr-bc
   drwxr-xr-x@ 15 fergus  fergus        510 Jan 14 11:06 apache-solr-nightly
   drwxr-xr-x   3 fergus  fergus        102 Jan 13 11:06 solr
   -rw-r--r--@  1 fergus  fergus   57874925 Jan 12 22:31 solr-2009-01-12.tgz
   drwxr-xr-x   8 fergus  fergus        272 Dec 16 17:53 solrbc
   drwxr-xr-x   7 fergus  fergus        238 Jan 16 12:08 solrnightlyjanes

fergus: ls -al /Volumes/spare/ts/solr
   total 8
   drwxr-xr-x   3 fergus  fergus  102 Jan 13 11:06 .
   drwxrwxrwx  19 root    fergus  646 Jan 14 11:06 ..
   -rw-rw-rw-@  1 fergus  fergus  500 Jan 13 11:07 solr.xml

fergus: more /Volumes/spare/ts/solr/solr.xml
   <solr sharedLib="lib" persistent="true">
      <cores adminPath="/admin/cores">
	 <core default="true"  instanceDir="../solrbc"           name="gazetteer">
	    <property name="solr.data.dir" value="solrbc/data" />
	    </core>
	 <core default="false" instanceDir="../solrnightlyjanes" name="janesdocs">
	    <property name="solr.data.dir" value="solrnightlyjanes/data" />
	    </core>
	 </cores>
      </solr>

Here is a fragment from the top of one of my solrconfig.xml file. Note the use of
solr.data.dir.

fergus: more /Volumes/spare/ts/solrnightlyjanes/conf/solrconfig.xml file.
   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
   <config>
     <!-- Set this to 'false' if you want solr to continue working after it has
	  encountered an severe configuration error.  In a production environment,
	  you may want solr to keep working even if one handler is mis-configured.

	  You may also set this to false using by setting the system property:
	    -Dsolr.abortOnConfigurationError=false
	-->
     <abortOnConfigurationError>${solr.abortOnConfigurationError:true}</abortOnConfigurationError>

     <!-- Used to specify an alternate directory to hold all index data
	  other than the default ./data under the Solr home.
	  If replication is in use, this should match the replication configuration. -->
     <dataDir>${solr.data.dir:./solr/data}</dataDir>

fergus: get 'http://localhost:8080/solr/admin/cores' | perl -p -e 's[(</\w+>)][$1\n  ]g;'
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <response>
     <int name="QTime">2</int>
     </lst>
     <str name="instanceDir">solr/../solrbc/</str>
     <str name="dataDir">solrbc/data/</str>
     <date name="startTime">2009-01-16T12:08:56.033Z</date>
     <long name="uptime">3078174</long>
     <int name="maxDoc">6705364</int>
     <long name="version">1229202899164</long>
     <bool name="optimized">false</bool>
     <bool name="current">true</bool>
     <bool name="hasDeletions">false</bool>
     <str name="directory">org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory:org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory@/Volumes/spare/ts/solrbc/data/index</str>
     <date name="lastModified">2008-12-13T21:39:08Z</date>
     </lst>
     </lst>
     <str name="instanceDir">solr/../solrnightlyjanes/</str>
     <str name="dataDir">solrnightlyjanes/data/</str>
     <date name="startTime">2009-01-16T12:08:56.613Z</date>
     <long name="uptime">3077596</long>
     <int name="maxDoc">269</int>
     <long name="version">1232107736664</long>
     <bool name="optimized">true</bool>
     <bool name="current">true</bool>
     <bool name="hasDeletions">false</bool>
     <str name="directory">org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory:org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory@/Volumes/spare/ts/solrnightlyjanes/data/index</str>
     <date name="lastModified">2009-01-16T12:57:40Z</date>
     </lst>
     </lst>
     </lst>
     </response>

fergus: get 'http://localhost:8080/solr/janesdocs/admin/ping' | perl -p -e 's[(</\w+>)][$1\n  ]g;'
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <response>
     <int name="QTime">2</int>
     <str name="echoParams">all</str>
     <str name="q">solrpingquery</str>
     <str name="qt">standard</str>
     </lst>
     </lst>
     <str name="status">OK</str>
     </response>

fergus: get 'http://localhost:8080/solr/gazetteer/admin/ping' | perl -p -e 's[(</\w+>)][$1\n  ]g;'
     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
     <response>
     <int name="QTime">2</int>
     <str name="echoParams">all</str>
     <str name="q">solrpingquery</str>
     <str name="qt">standard</str>
     </lst>
     </lst>
     <str name="status">OK</str>
     </response>

Hope this helps.

>I gave few new shots today:
>- with jetty and nightly build 16 Jan  - same problem null pointer exception
>- Then I decided I am not using solr multicore but rather tomcat to
>handle this. So I get latets tomcat and again with using 1.3.0 solr.war
>I setup all
>as explained
>http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat#head-024d7e11209030f1dbcac9974e55106abae837ac
>Links again are all smooth for admin and all but I still get 500 on pings :(
>
>Is everyone using solr with single index(core)       ?
>
>Cheers
>
>All setup is smooth, working
>
>Julian Davchev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying with 1.3.0    from
>> http://apache.cbox.biz/lucene/solr/1.3.0/apache-solr-1.3.0.tgz
>>
>> which I supposed is stable release.
>>
>> Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure, I'd have to try it.  But you didn't mention which version of Solr you are using.  Nightly build?
>>>

>>> Otis
>>> --
>>> Sematext -- http://sematext.com/ -- Lucene - Solr - Nutch

Fergus McMenemie               Email:fergus@twig.me.uk
Techmore Ltd                   Phone:(UK) 07721 376021

Unix/Mac/Intranets             Analyst Programmer

Re: Is it just me or multicore default is broken? Can't ping

Posted by Julian Davchev <jm...@drun.net>.
I gave few new shots today:

Posted by Julian Davchev <jm...@drun.net>.
Hi,