Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Richard van Nieuwenhoven <ri...@gmx.at> on 2007/11/13 10:37:36 UTC

copieing sources in to a maven-plugin

All,

with a very small code change and 2 small sources from a eclipse-plugin
the maven-eclipse-plugin will be able to connect projects to the
projects in the workspace instead of the jars for the repository. This
is a very important feature for the maven-eclipse-plugin.

Now to my question:
To do this, i need two small sources from a eclipse-plugin that reads a
special binary file. But a dependency to the eclipse-plugin would
include a deep tree of dependencies, what i would think is way to big
for those two small classes (they are probably not intended to be part
of a public API anyway)....

I see different solutions, but witch one to take ....
- copy the sources and leaf them as untouched as possible (may be even
in a own source folder to separate them and exclude them from code
reformating)
- extract the classes or sources at build time and include them in the
package as classes
- completely rewrite the part i need (to remove the copyright)
- include the dependency anyway
- any other solution?

Specially the legal considerations make it difficult for me to decide
for a solution. The eclipse-plugin has this copyright
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html and the maven-eclipse-plugin
has this one
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/license.html

Probably i am not the fist one fighting with such considerations, so
what is the "standard" way to go?

thanks for any help,
Ritchie

Re: copieing sources in to a maven-plugin

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 25, 2007, at 8:06 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> yes and no.
>
> You can NOT copy files from EPL into an ASL project, or modify them
> in an ASL project. However you can take a binary (jar) dependency on
> an EPL binary. So you would have to copy the jar that the source is
> in. However, the source or part of the jar is also not permitted by
> the combination of ASL / EPL. i.e. only binary dependencies on EPL
> will work under ASL. Cliff has a good page posted on topic posted.

Carl,
One correction... There are some cases where Category B licensed
source files can be copied into an ASF project (according to http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html#category-b
  which I believe is an updated version of Cliff's older document).
The files have to be non-volatile in nature (e.g. standards based) and
consumed during runtime (not buildtime). A common example would be
category B licensed xml schema files (xsd and dtd files).

It sounds like the source files that you mention would be against ASF
policy (and would apply to any ASF project). However, this policy does
not necessarily apply to an 'ASL project'. That would be a project
decision...

--kevan

Re: copieing sources in to a maven-plugin

Posted by Richard van Nieuwenhoven <ni...@cfc.at>.
Hi,

where can i find that page?

After writing test cases i now know how to read the binary files, almost
without the code but i need at least two defined constants "a long magic
number".
But as far as i know it is still called copying, if i used the original
code to see what it does.

Does the EPL allow repackaging? copying singular class files from the
original jar and put them in a other (along with the legal notice, and
no change what so ever).

This is the first time (a least one i know of) but surly not the last
time the maven-eclipse-plugin needs "something" from eclipse, so this
should be solved.

When we really do not want this dependency, we could include a parameter
 to point to the eclipse installation directory ........ (but i don't
think thats a good solution)

regards,
Ritchie

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
yes and no.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
yes and no.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

  Thus what can I do ?
  Richard proposed a patch (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-344)
which is very useful for our eclipse plugin, but it bundles 2 java classes
coming from eclipse (IBM - EPL 1.0). Those sources are in src/main/eclipse
with the license file.

  Can I add them, or is it prohibited ?

Arnaud

On Nov 14, 2007 4:37 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13/11/2007, at 4:37 AM, Richard van Nieuwenhoven wrote:
>
> > I see different solutions, but witch one to take ....
> > - copy the sources and leaf them as untouched as possible (may be even
> > in a own source folder to separate them and exclude them from code
> > reformating)
>
> yes, they will need to be separate in this case - note that the EPL
> requires you contribute enhancements and fixes back to the author.
>
> > - extract the classes or sources at build time and include them in the
> > package as classes
>
> this is likely a better alternative to the above, but remember you
> need to include the relevant license/notice if you distribute your code.
>
> > - completely rewrite the part i need (to remove the copyright)
>
> you can't just "remove copyright" and rewrite in place - if you
> rewrite it must be free of influence from the original.
>
> > - include the dependency anyway
>
> that might be the best place to start, and use exclusions to remove
> the tree of deps you don't need.
>
> - Brett

Arnaud HERITIER
OCTO Technology - aheritier AT octo DOT com
www.octo.com | blog.octo.com
ASF - aheritier AT apache DOT org
www.apache.org | maven.apache.org

Re: copieing sources in to a maven-plugin

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.