Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net> on 2005/12/05 04:41:07 UTC

RulesDuJour problem

Greetings folks;

I just installed RulesDuJour, and ran it once by hand.  It wasn't
labeling the subject line, so I edited my local.cf to turn that on,
didn't change anything else, but now a 'service spamd restart'
fails with this error message nomograph:

Starting spamd: [20715] warn: Value "ax-conn-per-child=50" invalid for
option m (number expected)
[20715] warn: Unknown option: a
[20715] warn: Unknown option: c

And spits out the rest of its --help message.

However, 'spamassassin --lint' returns clean in about 4 seconds.

Humm, /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin had an .rpmnew appended, fixed that.
Which is odd as removeing that startup SPAMDOPTION in the
/etc/init.d/spamd file didn't get rid of the message.  Odd indeed.
Also, the startup says there should be 5 (-m5) copies of spamd running,
but a ps -ea|grep spamd only finds 3.  Another one of those things that
make
you go hummmm, I guess.

Any comments on how to reduce the hummmm?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: RulesDuJour problem

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Sunday 04 December 2005 22:46, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>--max-conn-per-child=50

?? Thats also odd, 3.04 has been running just fine with that single
dash option for at least 6 months.  Wierd.  Anyway I put it back in
like above, and that works.  Now to figure out why, with a -m5 setting,
its only running 3 copies of spamd.

Thanks Bob.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: RulesDuJour problem

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Bob McClure Jr" <ro...@earthlink.net>
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 10:41:07PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings folks;
>>
>> I just installed RulesDuJour, and ran it once by hand.  It wasn't
>> labeling the subject line, so I edited my local.cf to turn that on,
>> didn't change anything else, but now a 'service spamd restart'
>> fails with this error message nomograph:
>>
>> Starting spamd: [20715] warn: Value "ax-conn-per-child=50" invalid for
>> option m (number expected)
>> [20715] warn: Unknown option: a
>> [20715] warn: Unknown option: c
>>
>> And spits out the rest of its --help message.
>>
>> However, 'spamassassin --lint' returns clean in about 4 seconds.
>>
>> Humm, /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin had an .rpmnew appended, fixed that.
>> Which is odd as removeing that startup SPAMDOPTION in the
>> /etc/init.d/spamd file didn't get rid of the message.  Odd indeed.
>> Also, the startup says there should be 5 (-m5) copies of spamd running,
>> but a ps -ea|grep spamd only finds 3.  Another one of those things that
>> make
>> you go hummmm, I guess.
>>
>> Any comments on how to reduce the hummmm?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>
> The spamd options are located in two places - in
> /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin and in the main script,
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamd (or whatever you called it).  Long option names
> are preceded by two dashes.  Somewhere you have
>
>  -max-conn-per-child=50
>
> where you should have
>
>  --max-conn-per-child=50

I like your answer better than mind. Fogs of hunger caught me.

{^_-}

Re: RulesDuJour problem

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <ro...@earthlink.net>.
On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 10:41:07PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings folks;
>
> I just installed RulesDuJour, and ran it once by hand.  It wasn't
> labeling the subject line, so I edited my local.cf to turn that on,
> didn't change anything else, but now a 'service spamd restart'
> fails with this error message nomograph:
>
> Starting spamd: [20715] warn: Value "ax-conn-per-child=50" invalid for
> option m (number expected)
> [20715] warn: Unknown option: a
> [20715] warn: Unknown option: c
>
> And spits out the rest of its --help message.
>
> However, 'spamassassin --lint' returns clean in about 4 seconds.
>
> Humm, /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin had an .rpmnew appended, fixed that.
> Which is odd as removeing that startup SPAMDOPTION in the
> /etc/init.d/spamd file didn't get rid of the message.  Odd indeed.
> Also, the startup says there should be 5 (-m5) copies of spamd running,
> but a ps -ea|grep spamd only finds 3.  Another one of those things that
> make
> you go hummmm, I guess.
>
> Any comments on how to reduce the hummmm?
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

The spamd options are located in two places - in
/etc/sysconfig/spamassassin and in the main script,
/etc/rc.d/init.d/spamd (or whatever you called it).  Long option names
are preceded by two dashes.  Somewhere you have

  -max-conn-per-child=50

where you should have

  --max-conn-per-child=50

Look over "man spamd" and check your options against that.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.

Re: RulesDuJour problem

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

> Greetings folks;
>
> I just installed RulesDuJour, and ran it once by hand.  It wasn't
> labeling the subject line, so I edited my local.cf to turn that on,
> didn't change anything else, but now a 'service spamd restart'
> fails with this error message nomograph:
>
> Starting spamd: [20715] warn: Value "ax-conn-per-child=50" invalid for
> option m (number expected)
> [20715] warn: Unknown option: a
> [20715] warn: Unknown option: c
>
> And spits out the rest of its --help message.
>
> However, 'spamassassin --lint' returns clean in about 4 seconds.
>
> Humm, /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin had an .rpmnew appended, fixed that.
> Which is odd as removeing that startup SPAMDOPTION in the
> /etc/init.d/spamd file didn't get rid of the message.  Odd indeed.
> Also, the startup says there should be 5 (-m5) copies of spamd running,
> but a ps -ea|grep spamd only finds 3.  Another one of those things that
> make
> you go hummmm, I guess.
>
> Any comments on how to reduce the hummmm?

I suffer from lack of informationitis here.

What is the line that starts the spamd service?

The above suggests you have a typo somewhere. Like maybe something
like "-m ax-conn-per-child=50" instead of "-max-conn-per-child=50".

{^_^}