Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sam Jost <sa...@b-soft.de> on 2004/10/21 07:40:16 UTC

svnserve -d does not store user name anymore?

I use svnserve -d in a local network without authentification or
authorization (we are only two developer so we don't need it).

I remember once upon a time, a great many versions ago, this setup did safe
the user name who committed a change, but nowadays it always shows ? for the
user.

I know the user is not authentificated, but couldn't svn(serve) just show
the login name of the one who committed a change there? This is a important
information for me and I would hate having to set up for me useless
auth-stuff just to get the name printed in the log.

thanks for help,
Sam

Re: svnserve -d does not store user name anymore?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Oct 21, 2004, at 2:40 AM, Sam Jost wrote:

> I use svnserve -d in a local network without authentification or
> authorization (we are only two developer so we don't need it).
>
> I remember once upon a time, a great many versions ago, this setup did
> safe the user name who committed a change, but nowadays it always
> shows ? for the user.

That means the server isn't sending an authentication challenge.  Which
means your repos/conf/svnserve.conf is misconfigured.

Either you configure the server to demand authentication, in which case
it has a username to store in revisions... or it never challenges the
client for authentication, in which case there's no username to store.
You have to choose.