Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com> on 2010/12/04 00:57:34 UTC

[RESULTS][VOTE] Wave accepted into the ASF incubator

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to report that the vote to accept Wave into the ASF incubator
was overwhelmingly positive.

By my tally, there have been 88 votes over the past 3+ days, including 18
IPMC binding votes, 8 votes by members of the ASF, and no -1 votes. Of those
88 votes, due to a slight process confusion (and an issue of reply-to
settings), 22 votes were only registered on the existing wave-protocol
Google Group.

The 18 binding votes:
Andrus Adamchik, Ant Elder, Bernd Fondermann, Bertrand Delacretaz, Chris A.
Mattmann, Christian Grobmeier, Davanum Srinivas, Dave Johnson, Doug
Cutting, Emmanuel Lecharny, Jim Jagielski, Kevan Miller, Luciano Resende, Mark
Struberg, Michael McCandless, Ralph Goers, Tim Williams, and Upayavira

The 8 non-IMPC members who are ASF members:
Ate Douma, Brett Porter, Leif Hedstrom, Marcel Offermans, Niklas
Gustavsson, Richard Hall, Santiago Gala, and Vincent Siveton

The 68 non-binding votes:
a2c, Adirondack, Alain Levesque, Albonobo, Alex North, Andreas Kuckartz,
Andrian Kurniady, Anthony Watkins, Bart Thate, benediktus dwi hari prasetyo,
Bertine van Hövell, Charles Goddard, Chris Harvey, Christopher Brind, Dan
Peterson, Dave Woollard, David Wang, David Westbrook, Davide Carnovale,
Edward J. Yoon, Eelco Hillenius, florent andré, Florian Rohrweck, Francis De
Brabandere, Gamer-Z, Help Earth Foundation,Honza Rameš, Ian Boston, Ian
Roughley,Isabel Drost, Jack Park, James R. Purser, Jeff Forsyth, Jeremy ngl,
John Edstrom, JR Smith, Kevin Lau, Lahiru Gunathilake, Manfred Herrmann,
Mark Kovacevich, Matias Molinas, Matt Richards, Matthew Cua1, Michael
MacFadden, MiCHiLU/Takanao Endoh, Mohammad Nour, Nathanael Abbotts, Noriyo,
Paul Lindner, Petru, Riu6, Sander W G van der Waal, Scott Wilson,
shigechika@gmail.com, Sophia Parafina, Soren Lassen, STenyaK, Tad Glines,
ThomasWrobel, Tish Shute, Vitality, and Yasushi Ando

The primary voting thread (there were a few side threads that sprawled that
aren't linked here):
http://apache.markmail.org/message/v2c4cnewpczdxzny
[ The following Google Group archives the other 22 unofficial, non-binding
votes:
http://groups.google.com/group/wave-protocol/browse_thread/thread/4fc26d16cde74380
 ]

The proposal that was approved:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WaveProposal

Looking forward to growing Wave in the Apache way,
-Dan

Re: [RESULTS][VOTE] Wave accepted into the ASF incubator

Posted by Kevin Lau <ke...@fas.harvard.edu>.
Would it be a good idea to translate this page to other languages? Or
something is more urgent for translation than this? I can try to help.

2010/12/3 Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm pleased to report that the vote to accept Wave into the ASF incubator
> was overwhelmingly positive.
>
> By my tally, there have been 88 votes over the past 3+ days, including 18
> IPMC binding votes, 8 votes by members of the ASF, and no -1 votes. Of those
> 88 votes, due to a slight process confusion (and an issue of reply-to
> settings), 22 votes were only registered on the existing wave-protocol
> Google Group.
>
> The 18 binding votes:
> Andrus Adamchik, Ant Elder, Bernd Fondermann, Bertrand Delacretaz, Chris
> A. Mattmann, Christian Grobmeier, Davanum Srinivas, Dave Johnson, Doug
> Cutting, Emmanuel Lecharny, Jim Jagielski, Kevan Miller, Luciano Resende, Mark
> Struberg, Michael McCandless, Ralph Goers, Tim Williams, and Upayavira
>
> The 8 non-IMPC members who are ASF members:
> Ate Douma, Brett Porter, Leif Hedstrom, Marcel Offermans, Niklas
> Gustavsson, Richard Hall, Santiago Gala, and Vincent Siveton
>
> The 68 non-binding votes:
> a2c, Adirondack, Alain Levesque, Albonobo, Alex North, Andreas Kuckartz,
> Andrian Kurniady, Anthony Watkins, Bart Thate, benediktus dwi hari prasetyo,
> Bertine van Hövell, Charles Goddard, Chris Harvey, Christopher Brind, Dan
> Peterson, Dave Woollard, David Wang, David Westbrook, Davide Carnovale,
> Edward J. Yoon, Eelco Hillenius, florent andré, Florian Rohrweck, Francis De
> Brabandere, Gamer-Z, Help Earth Foundation,Honza Rameš, Ian Boston, Ian
> Roughley,Isabel Drost, Jack Park, James R. Purser, Jeff Forsyth, Jeremy ngl,
> John Edstrom, JR Smith, Kevin Lau, Lahiru Gunathilake, Manfred Herrmann,
> Mark Kovacevich, Matias Molinas, Matt Richards, Matthew Cua1, Michael
> MacFadden, MiCHiLU/Takanao Endoh, Mohammad Nour, Nathanael Abbotts, Noriyo,
> Paul Lindner, Petru, Riu6, Sander W G van der Waal, Scott Wilson,
> shigechika@gmail.com, Sophia Parafina, Soren Lassen, STenyaK, Tad Glines,
> ThomasWrobel, Tish Shute, Vitality, and Yasushi Ando
>
> The primary voting thread (there were a few side threads that sprawled that
> aren't linked here):
> http://apache.markmail.org/message/v2c4cnewpczdxzny
> [ The following Google Group archives the other 22 unofficial, non-binding
> votes:
> http://groups.google.com/group/wave-protocol/browse_thread/thread/4fc26d16cde74380
>  ]
>
> The proposal that was approved:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WaveProposal
>
> Looking forward to growing Wave in the Apache way,
> -Dan

Kevin

_______________________________
This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not
waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s),
or if it is transmitted/received in error. Any unauthorised use, alteration,
disclosure, distribution or review of this email is prohibited.

Re: [RESULTS][VOTE] Wave accepted into the ASF incubator

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
The canonical archives will be at:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-wave-dev/
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-wave-commits/

(It takes some time to first appear).

As you've noticed, the lists are set up for markmail and mail-archive.com initially, and others often pick them up too.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Matt Richards <mr...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the information. I know its brand new at this point. Just want
it for future reference.

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com> wrote:

> For wave-dev@incubator.apache.org There is an archive on markmail --
> http://apache.markmail.org/search/?q=list:org.apache.incubator.wave-dev%20order:date-backward
>

> <http://apache.markmail.org/search/?q=list:org.apache.incubator.wave-dev%20order:date-backward>...
> but the action is just now moving over to wave-dev, so the google groups
> archive has more historical context about wave --
> http://groups.google.com/group/wave-protocol/topics
>
> -Dan
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Matt Richards <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there any web archives for this list?
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Brett!
>>>
>>> So, let's move discussion over to the wave-dev list, let's see you all
>>> over there!
>>>
>>> If you are subscribed to this list, and want to continue to participate,
>>> please subscribe to wave-dev, by sending an email to
>>> wave-dev-subscribe@incubator.apache.org.
>>>
>>> In case anyone asks if it is possible to migrate our subscriber list
>>> over, the answer is unfortunately no, as we cannot legally transfer a
>>> list of email addresses between organisations.
>>>
>>> Upayavira

>>> initial

>>> of
>>> the
>>> becoming

>>> would
>>> of

>>> started.

>>> on

>>> Delacretaz, Chris
>>> Johnson, Doug
>>> Resende,
>>> and Upayavira

>>> many ASF

>>> .

>>> .

>>> .

>> --
>> --Matt
>>
>> --
>>

>  --

--Matt

Re: [RESULTS][VOTE] Wave accepted into the ASF incubator

Posted by Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com>.

Posted by Matt Richards <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Thanks Brett!

Posted by David Wang <zd...@google.com>.
I have filed my ICLA.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Disclaimer: The private mailing list will rarely be used (typically for
> > discussing security issues and approving new committers) and access is
> only
> > approved for committers.
>
> Access to the private list is restricted to the projects PPMC members and
> any ASF member afaik.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Leif

David Wang

Re: [RESULTS][VOTE] Wave accepted into the ASF incubator

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com>.
Disclaimer: The private mailing list will rarely be used (typically for
discussing security issues and approving new committers) and access is only
approved for committers.

David, you can use the same mechanism as "sending an email to
wave-dev-subscribe@incubator.apache.org" (but make it wave-private instead
of wave-dev).

-Dan

Posted by James Purser <ja...@gmail.com>.
Send a message to

wave-private-subscribe@incubator.apache.org

James

Posted by David Wang <zd...@google.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Michael MacFadden <mi...@gmail.com>.
All,

Posted by Soren Lassen <so...@google.com>.

Posted by Matt Richards <mr...@gmail.com>.
Now that the Vote has been completed.
What are the next steps?

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Tad Glines <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/12/3 Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com>
>
> The 18 binding votes:
>> Andrus Adamchik, Ant Elder, Bernd Fondermann, Bertrand Delacretaz, Chris
>> A. Mattmann, Christian Grobmeier, Davanum Srinivas, Dave Johnson, Doug
>> Cutting, Emmanuel Lecharny, Jim Jagielski, Kevan Miller, Luciano Resende, Mark
>> Struberg, Michael McCandless, Ralph Goers, Tim Williams, and Upayavira
>>
>> The 8 non-IMPC members who are ASF members:
>> Ate Douma, Brett Porter, Leif Hedstrom, Marcel Offermans, Niklas
>> Gustavsson, Richard Hall, Santiago Gala, and Vincent Siveton
>>

> Wow! Did we set some sort of record? I didn't realize that so many ASF
> people had voted.
>
> -Tad
>
>  --

--Matt

Re: [RESULTS][VOTE] Wave accepted into the ASF incubator

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 4 Dec 2010, at 22:43, Dan Peterson wrote:

> Ian, Isabel (and anyone else I missed), sorry about that

Dan, np, just wanted to make sure you got all the credit due.
Ian

Re: [RESULTS][VOTE] Wave accepted into the ASF incubator

Posted by Tad Glines <ta...@gmail.com>.
My ICLA is signed and on file
unlistedclas<http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html#unlistedclas>
.

-Tad

Re: [RESULTS][VOTE] Wave accepted into the ASF incubator

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Dec 4, 2010, at 2:43 PM, Dan Peterson wrote:

> Ian, Isabel (and anyone else I missed), sorry about that -- I manually
> compared the list of voters against
> http://apache.org/foundation/members.html
> (and http://incubator.apache.org/whoweare.html )
>
> Ralph, your list looks more up to date it seems. To avoid confusion in the
> future, I imagine the ASF members page I found could be filled in from the
> same list as the committer-index page?

members.html is maintained by the members themselves.  Not all members know to do that or simply don't add their information.  At one point in the recent past it was discussed having members.html derive from that but since it contains more information I believe it was decided to leave it alone. Instead, the committers page I referenced was moved from Jim's user site to the main ASF site at the link I posted.

committee-info.txt, from which whoweare.html gets its information, should contain an accurate and up-to-date list of all PMC members on the various projects at the ASF. However, it has gotten out of synch from time to time.

I believe the link I gave you derives from the ldap permissions that govern what people can get to in subversion.

> One question related to incubator policy: are ASF member votes meant to be
> officially binding for incubator acceptance or is it explicitly restricted
> to the IPMC? Paul and I couldn't find a clear answer to that. There is a
> mention that the IPMC is responsible for incubator projects, so I could see
> it both ways. It wasn't an issue in this case, just wondering what the
> policy is for any future potential incubator projects.

ASF members can participate in any ASF project by subscribing to the mailing lists and taking part in the community and PMC. Their votes are not binding until the are officially part of the PMC.  This is also true of the incubator. However, unlike other projects, all a member has to do to become part of the incubator PMC is to request to be added.  So incubator votes cast by ASF members who aren't on the PMC are non-binding.

Ralph

Re: [RESULTS][VOTE] Wave accepted into the ASF incubator

Posted by Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Tad Glines <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Missed the actual vote... Congratulations to fellow wavers!

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.