Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/04 12:48:17 UTC

BadApple

With all the discussion about major how broken Solr is, I’m not sure what the value of these is at this point, but they’re quick to do so what the heck. I probably won’t be changing annotations until that discussion reaches a conclusion. although I’ll continue to send these out.

********Failures in Hoss' reports for the last 4 rollups.

There were 139 unannotated tests that failed in Hoss' rollups. Ordered by the date I downloaded the rollup file, newest->oldest. See above for the dates the files were collected
These tests were NOT BadApple'd or AwaitsFix'd

Failures in the last 4 reports..
   Report   Pct     runs    fails           test
     0123   3.5      912     48      BasicAuthIntegrationTest.testBasicAuth
     0123   1.2      934     10      DimensionalRoutedAliasUpdateProcessorTest.testCatTime
     0123   0.6      934     12      DimensionalRoutedAliasUpdateProcessorTest.testTimeCat
     0123   3.4      939     71      LegacyCloudClusterPropTest.testCreateCollectionSwitchLegacyCloud
     0123   0.6      906      6      MathExpressionTest.testGammaDistribution
     0123   7.1       86      5      ShardSplitTest.testSplitWithChaosMonkey
     0123   6.1      922     48      TestCloudSearcherWarming.testRepFactor1LeaderStartup
     0123   6.1      936     75      TestModelManagerPersistence.testFilePersistence
     0123   5.2      936     74      TestModelManagerPersistence.testWrapperModelPersistence
     0123   2.8      903     20      TestSkipOverseerOperations.testSkipLeaderOperations
************ Will BadApple all tests above this line except ones listed at the top**************

Re: BadApple

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Some of these are hard to trigger without doing a lot of other things. Like
you have to make the overseer much faster. Much as I dislike that thing,
you can make much much much faster as it is and that will help. Many many
bugs hide because we crawl.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: BadApple

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: BadApple

Re: BadApple

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Another easy powerful one.

When you wait for state, you have to consider all the states you can
actually see.

So like, if you are waiting for replicas and the shard is not even there
yet, like you have to check getSlices==null, then keep waiting. Youcan't
miss little things when waiting for the state you want to see. Go fix that
and again, return will be huge for the effort.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: BadApple

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: BadApple

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: BadApple

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: BadApple

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: BadApple

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> With all the discussion about major how broken Solr is, I’m not sure what
> the value of these is at this point, but they’re quick to do so what the
> heck. I probably won’t be changing annotations until that discussion
> reaches a conclusion. although I’ll continue to send these out.
>
> ********Failures in Hoss' reports for the last 4 rollups.
>
> There were 139 unannotated tests that failed in Hoss' rollups. Ordered by
> the date I downloaded the rollup file, newest->oldest. See above for the
> dates the files were collected
> These tests were NOT BadApple'd or AwaitsFix'd
>

> Failures in the last 4 reports..
>    Report   Pct     runs    fails           test
>      0123   3.5      912     48      BasicAuthIntegrationTest.testBasicAuth
>      0123   1.2      934     10
> DimensionalRoutedAliasUpdateProcessorTest.testCatTime
>      0123   0.6      934     12
> DimensionalRoutedAliasUpdateProcessorTest.testTimeCat
>      0123   3.4      939     71
>  LegacyCloudClusterPropTest.testCreateCollectionSwitchLegacyCloud
>      0123   0.6      906      6
> MathExpressionTest.testGammaDistribution
>      0123   7.1       86      5
> ShardSplitTest.testSplitWithChaosMonkey
>      0123   6.1      922     48
> TestCloudSearcherWarming.testRepFactor1LeaderStartup
>      0123   6.1      936     75
> TestModelManagerPersistence.testFilePersistence
>      0123   5.2      936     74
> TestModelManagerPersistence.testWrapperModelPersistence
>      0123   2.8      903     20
> TestSkipOverseerOperations.testSkipLeaderOperations
> ************ Will BadApple all tests above this line except ones listed at

- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller