Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Sam Chance <sg...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/04 14:07:37 UTC

Re: Newbie Question

Reto,

Sorry for taking so *long* to reply!

I do think there is a good intersection between Semantic Web and
distributed OSGi. Two reasons that come to mind include scale and "cloud".
As you know OWL/RDFS reasoning/querying is an expensive function. When the
knowledgebase grows to any substantial size, performance becomes
unacceptable. Although scale has improved, it remains a challenge. As for
"cloud", I thought "SOA" was an overloaded term, but "cloud" is much worse!
Nevertheless, the way we design, build, deploy and maintain software
systems - I believe - will become increasingly modular and distributed. As
data is distributed in Hadoop, software modules will be similarly
distributed. I could be wrong! :-)

So my "hypothesis" is that a distributed OSGi services "fabric" will align
with the "modular and distributed" "cloud" concept; and such a fabric can
parallelize OWL/RDFS reasoning/querying functions.

I'm wondering if Clerezza can built in such a fashion. I'm sure it can, but
I also know it's easier said than done! In the short term, I think I'll
focus on learning and using Clerezza - as is. :-)

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Sam

--
Sam Chance
443-694-5293 (m)

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Sam Chance <sg...@gmail.com>.
Reto,

Thank you for your reply! I found your last comment very interesting!

"...instead of downloading a graph using a sparql endpoint one can upload a
bundle
that (with the rights of the uploading user) aggregates the data..."

This, to me, hints toward the Semantic Web's original vision, wherein
intelligent [software] agents interact with semantic data to accomplish
tasks.  Instead of moving the data around, move the functions (software)
around. It seems like security becomes the main concern, and the inhibitor.
I don't know.

Thank you!
Sam

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <me...@farewellutopia.com>.
Hi Sam,