Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Su...@hns-net.com on 2007/03/16 21:42:28 UTC

Comparison of VSS commands versus Subversion Commands

Looking for a document mapping the VSS commands to the SVN commands.

Thanks again,

Suzanne M. Simpson
(404) 456-2524
****** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE ******
NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message from your system. Thank you.

RE: Comparison of VSS commands versus Subversion Commands

Posted by Stuart Celarier <SC...@corillian.com>.
Suzanne, there is no mapping from VSS to SVN commands, so can be is no
document with the mapping. The systems are fundamentally different in
many respects. Concepts, capabilities, and commands don't correspond
between the systems. Even where commands *seem* to be similar, they have
very different semantics.

I've taught Subversion to a lot of people. In my experience, those who
become frustrated and fail are those who insist on understanding
Subversion in terms of another system. I've seen it time and again. It
is similar to an English speaker trying to learn French by only learning
the vocabulary words and not the grammar and idioms.

You'd be better off working on understanding Subversion in terms of
Subversion. I'd recommend a good book. My favorite for beginners is
"Pragmatic Version Control Using Subversion, 2nd Ed." by Mike Mason [1].

Cheers,
Stuart

Stuart Celarier | Staff Software Engineer | Corillian Corporation

[1] http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/svn/