Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2008/01/15 04:00:55 UTC

Subversion area setup (RE: svn commit: r611521)

> +      The most important responsibility for mentors is to set up the
> +      podling svn repository and give read/write access to the repository
> +      to all the committers for the podling. This involves requesting
> +      new committer accounts and granting access to mentors and existing
> +      Apache committers.

As noted in a separate e-mail, not all Mentors will have karma for asf-authorization.  If they do, fine.  If not, they should ensure that any other Incubator PMC member who does have the necessary karma does the grant.

> +      <li>Creating the workspace in svn. This requires commit access to the
> +      incubator svn repository. Podlings are given their own subdirectory
> +      of the incubator svn repository.

This should not be done (to be safe) until after the #{podling}-commits mailing list has been created.  The incubator/$[podling} and ${podling}-commits names are matched.  Any other naming would require modifying asf-mailer.  So just follow the pattern unless a deviation has been discussed, approved and the mailing list *AND* asf-mailer changes are in place.

	--- Noel

Re: Subversion area setup (RE: svn commit: r611521)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2008 3:48 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Craig Russell asked:

> >> This should not be done (to be safe) until after the #{podling}-
> >> commits mailing list has been created.
> > What will happen if the svn workspace is set up without
> > a corresponding mailing list?
>
> The notices for any commits would be discarded and lost, requiring them to
> be manually regenerated.
>
> > during the initial setup of the repository, who cares?
>
> We care if people see the repository and therefore start committing before
> the mailing list is ready for the commit notices.
>
> The ASF very much cares about having an e-mail log of all changes.  We don't
> just trust the source control system, and on at least one prior occasion in
> the old CVS days were able to detect when someone hacked the source control
> repository to change history.

i've added setting up subversion to the
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#bootstrap after mailing
list creation

- robert

RE: Subversion area setup (RE: svn commit: r611521)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Craig Russell asked:

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Noel,

>> +      <li>Creating the workspace in svn. This requires commit
>> access to
> the
>> +      incubator svn repository. Podlings are given their own
> subdirectory
>> +      of the incubator svn repository.
>
> This should not be done (to be safe) until after the #{podling}-
> commits
> mailing list has been created.

Just so I understand: What will happen if the svn workspace is set up
without a corresponding mailing list? I assumed that the *only*
downside is that no email for svn commits would be sent. And during
the initial setup of the repository, who cares? The monk trying to
clap with one hand perhaps.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Subversion area setup (RE: svn commit: r611521)

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Jan 14, 2008 7:00 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> > +      The most important responsibility for mentors is to set up the
> > +      podling svn repository and give read/write access to the
> repository
> > +      to all the committers for the podling. This involves requesting
> > +      new committer accounts and granting access to mentors and
> existing
> > +      Apache committers.
>
> As noted in a separate e-mail, not all Mentors will have karma for
> asf-authorization.  If they do, fine.  If not, they should ensure that any
> other Incubator PMC member who does have the necessary karma does the grant.
>
> > +      <li>Creating the workspace in svn. This requires commit access to
> the
> > +      incubator svn repository. Podlings are given their own
> subdirectory
> > +      of the incubator svn repository.
>
> This should not be done (to be safe) until after the #{podling}-commits
> mailing list has been created.  The incubator/$[podling} and
> ${podling}-commits names are matched.  Any other naming would require
> modifying asf-mailer.  So just follow the pattern unless a deviation has
> been discussed, approved and the mailing list *AND* asf-mailer changes are
> in place.

Nice to know, thanks.

Matthieu