Posted to user@struts.apache.org by James Howe <jw...@allencreek.com> on 2001/01/05 22:18:55 UTC

question

I'm using the 1/3/2001 build and I just tried using the <form:hidden> tag
and I'm either misunderstanding the documentation or there is a bug.  What
I need to be able to do is give the hidden field a name which is different
from the propery used to populate the field.  After reading the
documentation, I thought I could use the following form to get the result I
need:

<form:hidden name="beanName" property="fieldName" value="beanProperty"/>

I was hoping it would generate:

<input type="hidden" name="fieldName" value=".. value of
beanName.getBeanProperty() ..">

but instead I got

<input type="hidden" name="fieldName" value="beanProperty">

In other words, the value was taken as a literal value, not the name of a
bean property.  The documentation for the value attribute states:

"Value to which this field should be initialized. [Use the corresponding
bean property value] "

I took this to mean that the value of value would be treated as a property
name and would be dynamically retrieved.

Did I misunderstand something?

Thanks.