Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by c <on...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/01 09:34:25 UTC

Multiple 'rows' of data to .NET client

Hello,

My Environment
-------------------------
Axis 1.4 Java
Tomcat 5.5
Visual C# with Visual Studio 2005 (as SOAP client)

I'm brand new to web services and having a heck of a time doing something
that I thought would be very simple.  My web service needs to accept
database query, execute the query and return the results.

Since there is no standard way of communicating resultsets via SOAP, I'm
trying to implement my own data structure for doing so.  I've been
successful implementing 'simple' web services and calling them from a C#
client.  By 'simple', I mean returning a string or an array of strings.
However, this does me no good for multiple rows of data.

Here's what I've tried:

I've tried returning String[][] with the auto-generated WSDL but .NET chokes
on this.

I've tried returning String[][] with a custom WSDL but .NET chokes on this.
The WSDL I made was based off the post at the following url but .NET gives
me some kind of "Unbounded groups are not supported with encoded SOAP"
error.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-axis-user/200207.mbox/%3C627D621CC38ED511AF8300B0D0D1A4EE01FC5443@matmail.ucdavis.edu%3E

I've tried returning an XML document as org.w3c.dom.Element and
org.w3c.dom.Document.  But this returns some kind of an apache-specific data
type that .NET chokes on.

I've searched the far corners of the Internet but I can't find any reliable
answers.  Surely I must be missing big because I'm sure that the type of
data I'm trying to exchange here is not uncommon.

I may have to resort to just cramming everything into one big string and
handle my own character escaping and row delimiters, etc.  But it doesn't
seem like I should have to do that.

Would love some ideas.  Thanks.

Re: Multiple 'rows' of data to .NET client

Posted by "Ravi.S" <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

I am also looking for a service which could return multiple rows from
database. If you were able to make it work please help by posting the code.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ravi S

Posted by c <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
#1 -- Don't use SOAP Encoding. Use document/literal.