Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2010/10/18 21:12:59 UTC

Ready to Graduate?

Please evaluate the status of your project with respect to graduation.  Why,
for example, are Thrift and JSPWiki not yet ready to fly?  What about Ace?
Others?

	--- Noel

Re: Ready to Graduate?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 18, 2010, at 3:12 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Please evaluate the status of your project with respect to graduation.  Why,
> for example, are Thrift and JSPWiki not yet ready to fly?  What about Ace?
> Others?

FYI, the Aries project is actively discussing graduation.

The Wink project discussed graduation last month. I hope to see the Wink community moving towards graduation in the not too distant future.

I have made repeated attempts to have the Imperius community evaluate their Incubator status and either make a concerted effort towards graduation or decide to end their incubation. I would like to see this issue resolved by their next board report (3 months time). Comments from the general Incubator community are welcome.

--kevan

Re: Ready to Graduate?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Noel, the thrift graduation vote happened right here on this list
over the past week or two.  Please pass the resolution onto the
board in this month's report.

RE: Ready to Graduate?

Posted by Scott Golightly <sc...@hotmail.com>.
I would like to see the project graduate and continue to provide samples to
developers to understand how to do interoperability. I like the new
direction of smaller samples that should make it easier to understand the
key parts of creating interoperable web services. Having said that I would
have to say that I probably won't have time to do anything until
mid-November towards furthering that goal.

Scott Golightly

Re: Ready to Graduate?

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On 18 Oct 2010, at 21:12 , Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Please evaluate the status of your project with respect to graduation.  Why,
> for example, are Thrift and JSPWiki not yet ready to fly?  What about Ace?

ACE is still working towards a release. We want to demonstrate we can do that first.

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Ready to Graduate?

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
JSPWiki has lost a massive amount of steam in the last year or so due to committers lives interfering with contributions. No known cure exists for life, unfortunately.

Simply put, I don't think anyone has the capacity right now to do the graduation.  I do not know whether the situation will change. We have discussed this among ourselves, but have no real conclusions.

Code-wise the only real showstopper is actually making a release. There's still some trickle of contributions coming in, but they're mostly only for the non-Apache releases we did a long time ago.

Advice useful.

/Janne

Re: Ready to Graduate?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Please evaluate the status of your project with respect to graduation.  Why,
> for example, are Thrift and JSPWiki not yet ready to fly?  What about Ace?
> Others?

The graduation vote for Thrift passed:

   http://markmail.org/message/ylxik4psqhlk5yec

Niall

Re: Ready to Graduate?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Please evaluate the status of your project with respect to graduation.  Why,
> for example, are Thrift and JSPWiki not yet ready to fly?  What about Ace?
> Others?

PhotArk have discussed graduation recently. Other then having a small
but active community of independent committers, it seems ready. In the
mean time, it's releasing often, very responsiveness and encouraging
to contributors, etc. Hopefully we will be recruiting couple more
committers and will be ready soon.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende