Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/08 14:18:28 UTC

Home for the colt fork

Mahout now has a fork of a portion of the 'category A' portion of the
CERN colt library forked. The Mahout fork is, of course, in the Mahout
tree under a Mahout Java package and Maven triple.

I want to use the collections classes from Mahout as the core to a new
set of commons-primitives classes that do the useful things that GNU
Trove does.

The classes I want to start from depend on the classes that are in the
Mahout fork.

As a temporary expedient, I can depend on their there. However, I
submit that it would be more better if the mathematical code were in
commons-math. Was this option explored?

Re: [math] getting changes included into commons-math (was Re: Home for the colt fork)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Jake Mannix wrote:
> [...]
>> individuals, I'd be off attaching a patch or three to a JIRA or two
>>

> The commons-math linear APIs have been described as effectively locked
> until 3.0, due to back-compat requirements.  This means that any code
> contributed
> into c-math would live in a parallel (no pun intended) to the linear
> primitives which
> exist already in there.
>
> Adopting something like MTJ or Colt in Mahout turned out to be easier,
> because
> we are on release 0.2 (heading for 0.3 now), and have less stringent
> back-compat
> requirements, so we are overhauling our linear apis (read: even user-facing
> interface changes) to take advantage of useful parts of Colt, and are
> planning on
> using our Colt fork as the underlying implementation.
>
> Commons-math expressed that changing linear APIs is not something they can
> do,
> given the maturity of their library, so where would Colt *go* in c-math?
> It's own
> submodule, having its own eigendecompositions and svd and so forth, running
> parallel to the current c-math impls?  Why?
>
> Who would maintain it and write tests for it, and how do you explain to
> end-users which they should use?
>

>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>
>> wrote:
>> impossible
>> commons
>>> If you really, really wants to use commons math and want changes to be
>>> included, contribute them.
>
> I have submitted patches for the following tickets: MATH-312 (and acceptance
> of that patch blocks my patch for MATH-314), MATH-316 and MATH-317, none
> of which have appear to have had much progress on.  All of my patches come
> with unit tests for new functionality.
>
> On the other hand, when I opened the discussion about extending the
> functions
> package to enable composable functions (MATH-313), I got an entirely hostile
> response, which only tempered as far as "+0" on adding it after discussion.
>
> In particular, my first step at making commons-math something Mahout could
> standardize on for linear work was MATH-312, which I did submit a patch for,
> and revised it many times after discussion about what is acceptable practice
> in c-math.  Not yet applied, months later.  It's probably far out of date
> now...
>
> Similarly, when I tried to ask what the status on decisions on whether to
> adopt
> MTJ or Colt, the statement by Phil was basically that commons-math would not
> adopt anything which had any external dependencies or
> not-easily-human-readable java source (which ruled out MTJ because of f2j
> produced code), and which had to be fully tested and maintained prior to
> adoption (which rules out Colt which has no unit tests yet).

We agreed early on that commons-math was going to be self-contained.
  It is fine to reopen that discussion.  I stated my opinion, which
is to stay away from *required* external dependencies.  I have been
wrong before, and will be wrong again.  Clear arguments can
enlighten me.  I also feel obligated to support the code that we
ship.  Others may disagree with this and feel that it is OK to ship
code that we - the committers voting on the release - cannot debug
or understand.  It will take some very "enlightening" arguments to
get me to agree to releasing code that I can't understand.
Regarding unit tests, the answer is simple - volunteer to write them
and include them in patches.  Code without unit tests is not
complete code. If I commit it, it means that *I* am going to have to
write the unit tests and I am going to do that before committing.
Patches without unit tests will therefore take longer to commit.

Phil

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.
Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
MATH-312, 314, 316 and 317 were the first round.

Some of the necessary changes included:

- sparse iterators for sparse vectors
- view semantics for sub-matrix and sub-vectors
- additional sparse vector types for specialized applications
- introduction of an unbounded sparse matrix/vector that simply remembers
the highest bound set
- introduction of abstract classes to allow off the cuff inner
implementations of virtual vectors
- introduction of additional decomposition classes
- introduction of row and column label abstraction for matrices and vectors
- higher performance implementations

The 5 issues that Jake filed were mostly address the first point.  That
stalled out when he hit resistance to change.

Since then we have adopted Colt as our matrix/linear algebra/collections
implementation and we don't really need any changes to MATH.

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 8:35 AM, J.Pietschmann <j3...@yahoo.de> wrote:

> On 09.12.2009 20:58, Jake Mannix wrote:
>
>> The commons-math linear APIs have been described as effectively locked
>> until 3.0, due to back-compat requirements.
>>

> Can you give a short summary of the API changes which are necessary
> to incorporate and use the functionality you need? Some functionality
> I've seen mentioned here could probably be pressed in the existing
> API, but I may have missed some details.
>
> J.Pietschmann

Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [math] getting changes included into commons-math (was Re: Home for the colt fork)

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I don't want to denigrate the large contributions of Phil and Luc
(especially Luc), but I have drawn a stronger conclusion that it isn't worth
my time to contribute to commons-math because interesting changes likely
won't get accepted.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [math] getting changes included into commons-math (was Re: Home for the colt fork)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Ted Dunning wrote:
> Similarly, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-310 had code from a
> contributor and got totally shot down basically with "We don't care what you
> think, we don't want it".  Extensive attempts on my part to find common
> ground just got shot down by Phil with -1 and essentially no more discussion
> than "don't like it".

Sorry you feel that way.  My objections were to the design, not in
any way personal or dismissive.  I did indicate alternative ways to
get the desired functionality implemented.  I also explained, I
think, pretty clearly why "I did not like it" and I stand behind my
comments.

Phil

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> CERN Colt is a library with a mixture of 'category A' material and
> 'category B-or-worse' material. In other words, it is not an
> attractive dependency for ASF code as a lump.

Yep, that's why when I made my original patch of Colt for Mahout, I
stripped out all dependency on the 'category B-or-worse' material, and
tried to keep everything else other than the physics specific stuff that
nobody was going to need.

> Part of the 'category A' code is a set of very pretty associative
> containers for primitive types. My goal is to take this code and
> modernize it to use Generics as appropriate -- and otherwise make it a
> replacement for the LGPL Trove library.

I believe Mahout kept all this: look in o.a.m.matrix.list and
o.a.m.matrix.map
The package name they're both in (o.a.m.matrix) is bad - it used to be
"colt",
but that name is trademarked by CERN, so even if the code is freely
licensable, the name isn't.  It might be better called "collections" or
something.

The associative code uses some math code. I'm pretty sure that all of
> the math code that it uses is also category A. In fact, I believe that
> all of it is in the portion that Mahout forked. This includes some
> things that aren't in commons-math at all.

Oh, this is what you're saying here, ok.

> So, we have some adoptable code in Colt that overlaps functionality in
> -math, some that doesn't, and some that I want to use as the basis for
> work in -primitives.

The stuff you want in primitives is also stuff we use/want to use for
our linear work in Mahout, by the way (OpenDoubleIntHashMap,
DoubleArrayList, etc...).

> If the messages in this thread mean that the code already in -math is
> in fact moving in a direction to support mahout, then it might be
> acceptable for the additional, non-overlapping, Colt math code to end
> up in -math, and then everyone ends up happy?

None of the patches mentioned above contain Colt code, so no, c-math
is not moving in a direction to support what mahout needs, not really,
because of the backwards compatibility constraints and the fact that
it's hard to tell what is the "non-overlapping" part of Colt math: for
example: vectors in Colt provide complex aggregation methods, but
c-math vectors do not (as an interface).  Is this non-overlapping
code?  If it is, then how would you suppose this would be incorporated
in c-math?  Add a new interface, the "ColtVector", which is basically
the same as c-math's "RealVector", but with some methods removed
and some others added?

This doesn't really make sense.  Implementations are one thing, but
interfaces which consumers see is another.

Another question: OK, -math is a stable, high-compatibility library.
> Mahout, on the other hand, wants to be a fast-moving, somewhat fluid,
> build of code (naturally including some math code) adapted for
> map-reduce. So, how about a branch of math that could release
> frequently with a new major version number?

Well, actually, a more feasible version of this, instead of branches, would
be to use the current "experimental" source submodule in commons-math.
If that could be a faster moving fluid build which could include colt math
etc, that would be great, and Mahout could possibly use this.

This brings up another point though: if commons-primitives is what you're
creating, and want to base it on colt, well, we in Mahout could probably
handle
depending on you, but colt math linear depends on these, so can
commons-math depend on commons-primitives, or does that violate
c-math's "no external dependencies" rule?  This would keep c-math from
adopting colt math, because those would need the colt-primitives stuff.

  -jake

Re: [math] getting changes included into commons-math (was Re: Home for the colt fork)

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I can see how everyone ends up with a headache here.

As the person who threw the most recent rock into the lake, let me
re-present the situation as I got into it.

[...]

frequently with a new major version number? Obviously, from a work
standpoint, this would depend on some of the Mahouts achieving
committer status in commons.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Btw, useful link that shows you the patches (or at least attachments)
you currently have on open tickets:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ConfigureReport.jspa?versionId=-1&issueStatus=open&selectedProjectId=12310485&reportKey=com.sourcelabs.jira.plugin.report.contributions%3Acontributionreport&Next=Next

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Jake Mannix a écrit :
>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> This is interesting. We have a raft of mathematically qualified
>>> committers on Mahout, and this message asking for help on
>>> commons-math, and a raft of code marooned at mahout that wants to be
>>> in commons math. If I were one of those mathematically competant
>>> individuals, I'd be off attaching a patch or three to a JIRA or two
>>>
>> The commons-math linear APIs have been described as effectively locked
>> until 3.0, due to back-compat requirements.  This means that any code
>> contributed
>> into c-math would live in a parallel (no pun intended) to the linear
>> primitives which
>> exist already in there.
>>
>> Adopting something like MTJ or Colt in Mahout turned out to be easier,
>> because
>> we are on release 0.2 (heading for 0.3 now), and have less stringent
>> back-compat
>> requirements, so we are overhauling our linear apis (read: even user-facing
>> interface changes) to take advantage of useful parts of Colt, and are
>> planning on
>> using our Colt fork as the underlying implementation.
>>
>> Commons-math expressed that changing linear APIs is not something they can
>> do,
>> given the maturity of their library, so where would Colt *go* in c-math?
>> It's own
>> submodule, having its own eigendecompositions and svd and so forth, running
>> parallel to the current c-math impls?  Why?
>>
>> Who would maintain it and write tests for it, and how do you explain to
>> end-users which they should use?

>>> impossible
>>> commons
>> I have submitted patches for the following tickets: MATH-312 (and acceptance
>> of that patch blocks my patch for MATH-314), MATH-316 and MATH-317, none
>> of which have appear to have had much progress on.  All of my patches come
>> with unit tests for new functionality.
>
> I had these patches in my backlog and considered them accepted. I should
> have commited them before, sorry for that. I'll take care of them right now.
>
>> On the other hand, when I opened the discussion about extending the
>> functions
>> package to enable composable functions (MATH-313), I got an entirely hostile
>> response, which only tempered as far as "+0" on adding it after discussion.
>
> The discussion was not entirely hostile as we get some intermediate
> consensus at some points. I understand your feelings after several
> patches that did not get committed fast enough.
>
> Please accept my apologizes for this.

I have to apologize as well here for lack of cycles to help get
[math] patches in recently.  That should improve shortly.

Phil

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>wrote:

> > I have submitted patches for the following tickets: MATH-312 (and
> acceptance
> > of that patch blocks my patch for MATH-314), MATH-316 and MATH-317, none
> > of which have appear to have had much progress on.  All of my patches
> come
> > with unit tests for new functionality.
>
> I had these patches in my backlog and considered them accepted. I should
> have commited them before, sorry for that. I'll take care of them right
> now.
>

> > On the other hand, when I opened the discussion about extending the
> > functions
> > package to enable composable functions (MATH-313), I got an entirely
> hostile
> > response, which only tempered as far as "+0" on adding it after
> discussion.
>
> The discussion was not entirely hostile as we get some intermediate
> consensus at some points. I understand your feelings after several
> patches that did not get committed fast enough.
>
> Please accept my apologizes for this.

Luc, looking back over that thread, I should say that no, it was not
entirely
hostile - and we did come to more of a consensus later on (although even
that consensus was given a very lukewarm +0 from Phil).  I apologize for
any implication that I was being treated poorly or unfairly.

It just seems that as Benson says later, that the rate of change of c-math
and
mahout are rather different, and this discussion around those JIRA tickets
simply highlighted what this understanding was.

  -jake

Re: [math] getting changes included into commons-math (was Re: Home for the colt fork)

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.