Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2002/08/10 18:20:38 UTC

[4.1.9] New test milestone released

A new test milestone of Tomcat 4.1 has just been released.

Downloads:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/test/v4.1.9/

Significant changes over 4.1.8 Beta include:
- Jasper 2 bugfixes
- Catalina classloader bugfixes
- Coyote HTTP/1.1 fixes
- Updated commons-dbcp connection pool

The list of changes is available in the release notes.

Remy

Re: [4.1.9] New test milestone released

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> Remy,
>
> Let's try to make 4.1.10 the 'stable' release ( and consider 4.1.9 as
> the 'release candidate ). I cleaned up some of the jk messages and
> I want to do some more watchdog tests with apache/jk.
>
> If everyone agree, I think we should also tag jk2 as 'jk2.0beta' and
> jk1.2.0 release, even if we don't distribute a standalone package.

Yes. The commons components need to be as "stable" releases before TC
4.1 goes stable. I think 4.1.9 could be considered a late beta,
hopefully without any major problems (there were a few in 4.1.8, so
4.1.9 is the same with the fixes for these).

I need to go through bugzilla, clean it up, and see what needs to be fixed.

After that is done, I think it will be time to put out a first stable
4.1.x release (at last; hopefully, it will be worth the wait :)).

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> costinm@covalent.net wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>>

>>> JASPER 2 JSP Page Comiles
>>> -------------------------
>>>
>>> I would also like to see Jasper 2 changed so that JSP page compiles
>>> occur
>>> externally outside of the Tomcat4 JVM process.  There are two reasons
>>> for
>>> this:
>>

>> What's wrong with that ? It works just fine, just set 'build.compiler'
>> system property ( I think you can do it in web.xml as well ).
>>

> I never noticed that in the Ant docs.  Thanks.
>
> It would be nice if there were some docs with Tomcat 4 about
> Jasper.  All there is now are the Jasper API Javadocs.

Yes, indeed :)

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>

>>JASPER 2 JSP Page Comiles
>>-------------------------
>>
>>I would also like to see Jasper 2 changed so that JSP page compiles occur
>>externally outside of the Tomcat4 JVM process.  There are two reasons for
>>this:
>

> What's wrong with that ? It works just fine, just set 'build.compiler'
> system property ( I think you can do it in web.xml as well ).

I never noticed that in the Ant docs.  Thanks.

It would be nice if there were some docs with Tomcat 4 about
Jasper.  All there is now are the Jasper API Javadocs.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: [4.1.9] New test milestone released

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> JASPER 2 JSP Page Comiles
> -------------------------
>
> I would also like to see Jasper 2 changed so that JSP page compiles occur
> externally outside of the Tomcat4 JVM process.  There are two reasons for
> this:

What's wrong with that ? It works just fine, just set 'build.compiler'
system property ( I think you can do it in web.xml as well ).

Costin

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Because I need features in Tomcat 4.1.x I have been putting each new version into
production.  There are 2 instances running 4.1.9 with Jasper 2, and one instance
running 4.1.8 with Jasper 1.

This last instance gets heavy use, 2-3 million tomcat JSP/Servlet requests per month.
With spikes 4 times a week of 10-20k requests per hour.  This also uses DBCP very
heavily.

Tracking Tomcat 4.1.x releases but using Jasper 1 (customer isn't ready to switch yet)
I haven't been able to get much better than 7-10 days runtime before Tomcat fails or Tomcat
requires a restart due to a memory leak.  Several months ago I had a run of 4 weeks w/o
a failure and w/o a memory leak.

MEMORY LEAK

I have a sneaking suspicion there is a small memory leak in Tomcat 4.1.x.
This appears to have been introduced sometime in the last couple of months.
This is not due to javac & JSP page compiles because jikes is being used as
an external page compiler.

When I get some time I may try setting up a test server with the customers app
and use optimizeit to try and track down the memory leak.

JASPER 2 JSP Page Comiles