Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu> on 2012/03/21 22:45:40 UTC

Apache Hadoop works with IPv6?

Regards.
I'm very interested to know if Apache Hadoop works with IPv6 hosts. One
of my clients
has some hosts with this feature and they want to know if Hadoop
supports this.
Anyone has tested this?

Best wishes

--
Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda (@marcosluis2186)
  Data Engineer at UCI

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci

Re: Apache Hadoop works with IPv6?

Posted by Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>.
No, there aren't jiras that I've filed, or I'm aware of, for the remaining IPv6 work.

Daryn

On Mar 23, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Marcos Ortiz wrote:

Thanks a lot, Daryn.
Do you have any JIRA issue for this work?
It would be nice to work on this.

Regards

On 03/22/2012 03:02 PM, Daryn Sharp wrote:

Hi Marcos,

Hadoop won't work in a pure IPv6 environment.  Hadoop might work in a IPv4/IPv6 environment since the default is to prefer IPv4 addresses.  It also might work if they are publishing IPv4 addrs over IPv6.

The main problem is that hadoop heavily relies on strings containing "ip:port".  The string is naively parsed to split on the first colon which obviously isn't going to work on IPv6 addresses since they contain colons.

Awhile back I updated some common apis with IPv6 support in mind -- the support isn't complete though.  Bad news: there are quite a number of places throughout hadoop not using the apis.  Good news: For other reasons, I'm currently fixing many of those places to use the apis.  After that work is complete, enabling IPv6 support might be within relatively easy to moderate reach.

Daryn

 http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com<http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com/>

[http://universidad.uci.cu/email.gif] <http://www.uci.cu/>

<http://www.uci.cu/>