Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Gorm Jensen <gj...@magma.ca> on 2004/02/19 21:19:46 UTC

spamd not accessing site rules

Problem not solved yet.

I am using SA2.63 on a RH7.2 system.  My setup is a common bayes database in
/etc/mail/spamassassin for two users.

spamd, running as "mail" is called from procmail as the user whose mail is
being downloaded.

The problem is that spamd will not use the rules in the site directory.
Running spamassassin from the command line `spamassassin -D -L < /tmp/spam1
> /tmp/sarep` works OK.

I have attached files showing all pertinent permissions, the local config
file (white/black lists deleted), a maillog extract with procmail and spamd
running debug options, an strace of the spamd startup and `ps ax` output
showing spamd running.

I've done everything that I can think of, and I'm out of ideas.  I hope that
a guru can use the attachments to tell me what is wrong with my setup.

Re: spamd not accessing site rules

Posted by Gorm Jensen <gj...@magma.ca>.

> Problem not solved yet.
>
> The problem is that spamd will not use the rules in the site directory.
> Running spamassassin from the command line `spamassassin -D -L <
/tmp/spam1
> > /tmp/sarep` works OK.

Problem solved.

After a few days of agony, I discovered that there was *nothing* wrtong with
my setup - I suppose that's why there were so few answers to the posting.
Thanks anyway to those who tried to help.

What happened was that I removed the mailscanner rpm package a few days ago
because I was unable to configure sendmail properly to use it.  The removal
must have removed a bit of perl that is necessary for spamd to access the
site rules, because spamd started working again on its own (no restart)
after I installed the perl libnet, URI and libwww modules for something else
today.