Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Audrey Lorberfeld - Audrey.Lorberfeld@ibm.com" <Au...@ibm.com> on 2020/02/14 15:53:28 UTC

Query Autocomplete Evaluation

Hi all,

How do you all evaluate the success of your query autocomplete (i.e. suggester) component if you use it?

We cannot use MRR for various reasons (I can go into them if you're interested), so we're thinking of using nDCG since we already use that for relevance eval of our system as a whole. I am also interested in the metric "success at top-k," but I can't find any research papers that explicitly define "success" -- I am assuming it's a suggestion (or suggestions) labeled "relevant," but maybe it could also simply be the suggestion that receives a click from the user?

Would love to hear from the hive mind!

Best,
Audrey

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Query Autocomplete Evaluation

Posted by "Audrey Lorberfeld - Audrey.Lorberfeld@ibm.com" <Au...@ibm.com>.
Paras,

Thank you! This is all very helpful __ I'm going to read through your answer a couple more times and follow up if I have any more questions!

Best,
Audrey

On 2/28/20, 8:08 AM, "Paras Lehana" <pa...@indiamart.com> wrote:

    Hey Audrey,

    Users often skip results and go straight to vanilla search even though
    > their query is displayed in the top of the suggestions list

    Yes, we do track this in another metric. This behaviour is more
    prevalent for shorter terms like "tea" and "bag". But, anyways, we measure
    MRR for quantifying how high are we able to show suggestions to the users.
    Since we include only the terms selection via Auto-Suggest in the universe
    for calculation, the searches where user skip Auto-Suggest won't be
    counted. I think we can safely exclude these if you're using MRR to measure
    how well you order your result set. Still, if you want to include those,
    you can always compare the search term with the last result set and include
    them in MRR - you're actually right that users maybe skipping the lower
    positions even if the intended suggestion is available. Our MRR stands at
    68% and 75% of all of the suggestions are selected from position #1 or #2.

    So acceptance rate = # of suggestions taken / total queries issued?

    Yes. The total queries issues should ideally be those where Auto-Suggest
    was selected or could have been selected i.e. we exclude voice searches. We
    try to include as much as those searches which were made via typing in the
    search bar. But that's how we have fine-tuned our tracking over months.
    You're right about the general formula - searches via Auto-Suggest divided
    by total Searches.

    And Selection to Display = # of suggestions taken (this would only be 1, if
    > the not-taken suggestions are given 0s) / total suggestions displayed? If
    > the above is true, wouldn't Selection to Display be binary? I.e. it's
    > either 1/# of suggestions displayed (assuming this is a constant) or 0?

    Yup. Please note that this is calculated per session of Auto-Suggest. Let
    the formula be S/D. We will take D (Display) as 1 and not 3 when a user
    query for "bag" (b, ba, bag). If the S (Selection) was made in the last
    display, it is 1 also. If a user selects "bag" after writing "ba", we don't
    say that S=0, D=1 for "b" and S=1, D=1 for "ba". For this, we already track
    APL (Average Prefix Length). S/D is calculated per search and thus, here
    S=1, D=1 for search "bag". Thus, for a single search, S/D can be either 0
    or 1 - you're right, it's binary!

    Hope this helps. Loved your questions! :)

     <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_IndiaMART_videos_578196442936091_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_8ViuZIeSRdQjONA8yHWPZIBlhj291HU3JpNIx5a55M&m=itCtsKdh-LT8eUwdVvqBc96lR_64mPtVw7t52WMtBLs&s=EcgKt8Lo_HX2OLBbxD7POy6bOFVkSBI4_8MqEzzeDkM&e= >

Re: Re: Re: Re: Query Autocomplete Evaluation

Posted by Paras Lehana <pa...@indiamart.com>.
Hey Audrey,

 <https://www.facebook.com/IndiaMART/videos/578196442936091/>

Re: Re: Re: Re: Query Autocomplete Evaluation

Posted by "Audrey Lorberfeld - Audrey.Lorberfeld@ibm.com" <Au...@ibm.com>.
Paras,

Thank you for this response! Yes, you are being clear __

Regarding the assumptions you make for MRR, do you have any research papers to confirm that these user behaviors have been observed? I only ask because this paper http://yichang-cs.com/yahoo/sigir14_SearchAssist.pdf talks about how users often skip results and go straight to vanilla search even though their query is displayed in the top of the suggestions list (section 3.2 "QAC User Behavior Analysis"), among other behaviors that go against general IR intuition. This is only one paper, of course, but it seems that user research of QAC is hard to come by otherwise.

Posted by Paras Lehana <pa...@indiamart.com>.
Hi Audrey,

Posted by "Audrey Lorberfeld - Audrey.Lorberfeld@ibm.com" <Au...@ibm.com>.
This article http://wwwconference.org/proceedings/www2011/proceedings/p107.pdf also indicates that MRR needs binary relevance labels, p. 114: "To this end, we selected a random sample of 198 (query, context) pairs from the set of 7,311 pairs, and manually tagged each of them as related (i.e., the query is related to the context; 60% of the pairs) and unrelated (40% of the pairs)."

Posted by "Audrey Lorberfeld - Audrey.Lorberfeld@ibm.com" <Au...@ibm.com>.
Thank you, Walter & Paras!

*The reason I think MRR has to have binary relevance labels is this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_reciprocal_rank, where it states below the formula that rank_i = "refers to the rank position of the first relevant document for the i-th query." If the suggestions are not labeled as relevant (0) or not relevant (1), then how do you compute the rank of the first RELEVANT document?

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Here is a blog article with a worked example for MRR based on customer clicks.

https://observer.wunderwood.org/2016/09/12/measuring-search-relevance-with-mrr/

Posted by Paras Lehana <pa...@indiamart.com>.
Hey Audrey,

Posted by "Audrey Lorberfeld - Audrey.Lorberfeld@ibm.com" <Au...@ibm.com>.