Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "S.A. Birl" <sb...@concept.temple.edu> on 2005/03/20 19:48:27 UTC

[users@httpd] TCPwrappers

I couldnt properly search the archives (nor apache.org) for an answer:

Are the TCPwrappers supported?

Thanks.
Birl

Re: [users@httpd] TCPwrappers

Posted by Noah <si...@onastick.net>.
On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:16:10AM +1200, Bruce Kingsbury wrote:

> On a semirelated note; I use this little cron job in an (fairly
> pointless and unsucessful) attempt to block address harvesters
> identified by the honeynet poject
>
>  echo "" > html/.htaccess
>
>  lynx --source http://www.projecthoneypot.org/bots_and_servers.php \
>    | grep bnone | sed -es"/<\/a>//" -es"/.*>/deny from /" >> html/.htaccess

<random>

This could be better written as:

lynx --source http://www.projecthoneypot.org/bots_and_servers.php \
    | grep bnone | sed -es"/<\/a>//" -es"/.*>/deny from /" >> html/.htaccess.tmp

(insert some code to sanity-check the result of the fetch here)

cp html/.htaccess html/.htaccess-prev
mv html/.htaccess.tmp html/.htaccess

This ensures that:
    a) your current config is backed up
    b) network timeouts to projecthoneypot.org don't leave you exposed
    for $SOME_NUM seconds

</random>

--n

--
<huey> dd of=/dev/fd0 if=/dev/flippy bs=1024
<huey> ^^^ Making Flippy Floppy

Re: [users@httpd] TCPwrappers

Posted by Bruce Kingsbury <zc...@maxnet.co.nz>.
S.A. Birl wrote:

>On Mar 21, Bruce Kingsbury (nospam-zcat@maxnet.co.nz.ns) typed:
>
>Bruce:  I always thought tcpwrappers was deprecated. use iptables.
>

>Solaris 9 has IPtables?  I thought that was a Linux thing.

I assume solaris has some equivalent firewalling feature.

On a semirelated note; I use this little cron job in an (fairly
pointless and unsucessful) attempt to block address harvesters
identified by the honeynet poject

  echo "" > html/.htaccess

  lynx --source http://www.projecthoneypot.org/bots_and_servers.php \
    | grep bnone | sed -es"/<\/a>//" -es"/.*>/deny from /" >> html/.htaccess

Just sharing something before I hit you with the 'real' problem I
subscribed for ;-)

Re: [users@httpd] TCPwrappers

Posted by "S.A. Birl" <sb...@concept.temple.edu>.

Re: [users@httpd] TCPwrappers

Posted by Noah <si...@onastick.net>.
On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 07:27:18AM +1200, Bruce Kingsbury wrote:
> S.A. Birl wrote:
>
> I always thought tcpwrappers was deprecated. use iptables.

Or IPFilter (solaris, {net,free}bsd, irix, hpux). Or pf (openbsd). ;)

--n

Re: [users@httpd] TCPwrappers

Posted by Bruce Kingsbury <zc...@maxnet.co.nz>.

Re: [users@httpd] TCPwrappers

Re: [users@httpd] TCPwrappers

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
<sb...@concept.temple.edu> wrote:
> I couldnt properly search the archives (nor apache.org) for an answer:
>
> Are the TCPwrappers supported?

No.  (Well, you could use them via inetd, but running apache in inetd
mode is not recommended.)  Apache has its own access controls.

I seem to recall someone having a module that allowed apache to read
/etc/hosts.(allow|deny).  But I can't find it now.

Joshua.