Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no> on 2012/12/29 05:21:31 UTC

Top navbar on the site with fluido

There was a comment about this in the surefire release (
(http://maven.apache.org/surefire/maven-surefire-plugin/),
so I figured we might as well get on with this discussion.

Being somewhat of a luddite with an appetite for all things new &
flashy, I happily accepted the site change
to the top menu-bar for surefire. But the luddite somehow still
screams "no" inside me. Let's get this over with:

I think the top menu bar in fluido has the same problem the left-menu
always had: There is no sense of priority
and all use cases are given equal focus. On the old-style left hand
side menu I would have this very clear mental
model inside my head that "goals" is where I want to go 80% of the
time, the somewhat oddly names "examples" section
15% of the time and the"rest" about 5% of the time. Now brain is such
a marvellous instrument for filtering out all
the uninteresting stuff, which is what made the old flat-style menu
work so well. But I think the dropdown menu
simply works less well because it gives me much less of a "at a glance"

Re: Top navbar on the site with fluido

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
I agree.

On 2013-01-01 12:42, Anders Hammar wrote:
> +1
> I think we should keep the old left-hand menu, like what we've done over at
> Mojo.
>
> /Anders
>

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Kristian Rosenvold
>> <kr...@zenior.no> wrote:
>>> There was a comment about this in the surefire release (
>>> (http://maven.apache.org/surefire/maven-surefire-plugin/),
>>> so I figured we might as well get on with this discussion.
>>
>> I don't disagree with any of what you had to say. I think that the new
>> fluido skin is quite an improvement. However, I find that users
>> respond better to both the old left-nav plus the top-nav system that
>> is optional with the fluido skin.
>>
>> There's a long history in Maven site chronology where navigation is
>> found on the left in a boxy area. To move away from that in just one
>> generation is too much change for users to handle.
>>
>> -Jesse
>>
>> --
>> There are 10 types of people in this world, those
>> that can read binary and those that can not.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Top navbar on the site with fluido

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
I'd prefer the sidebar (alone) as well.

I've just verified that I can easily reskin the site, so it shouldn't be
too hard to remove it from existing pages.

Compare these 2 sites:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-clean-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-clean-plugin-2.5/
( differences are very subtle, but I can name at least 3 )

Robert

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
+1

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
> a first step would be to have both bars, instead of top bar replacing left
> one

I'm not so sure about this. The basic knowledge I have about UI design is
to never have more than one way to initiate an action. I'm thinking that if
we have to both menu bars showing the same items it will confuse the users.
So, I think we need to make a decision. But we could start with keeping the
old structure (like we've done over at Mojo) OR we do a menu structure
change. Personally I don't think there is much benefit in changing the
structure people are used to. I think we should appreciate that there are
lots of plugin sites out there which uses the other skins and thus have the
left hand menu. Consistency is good!

/Anders

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
yes, we must avoid the "it was better before" effect then do nothing but tell
the problems to find a solution

to me, left-side menu is good for most used links, ie "Overview", "Examples"
and "Modules"
top bar is good for less used links: "Poject Documentation", "Maven Projects",
"ASF"

I don't know if we can actually dispatch menus in bars

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
yes, an next times, it's just inefficient to navigate: we need some menus opened
by default

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the old placement.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
+1

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no>.
(XXXX gmail send button)

2012/12/29 Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no>:
> work so well. But I think the dropdown menu
> simply works less well because it gives me much less of a "at a glance"

overview of what is present in the site.

I think my main gripe with the dropdown is that *some* parts of the
menu have a fixed, well known structure while some others are more
manually produced content. It just seems to me that
hiding everything equally is less optimal than what we had. Could we
find some kind of mix
that works better, which is more focused on the common usages ?

Kristian