Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Leslie Bertels <Le...@honda-eu.com> on 2007/03/09 14:57:21 UTC

Maven PMD plugin configuration

Hi,

I've been using Maven2 for a couple of weeks now and I'm trying to
integrate PMD with Maven2.
I've managed to change my pom.xml by adding the pmd plugin and run the mvn
pmd:pmd succesfully.

The following step is to use my own ruleset and classes it depends upon.
I created a jar file containing several classes and a configuration file
containing rulesets.
I installed the jar in my local maven repository and added it as a
dependency in my pom.xml file.

But when running mvn pmd:pmd a exception is thrown because the jar cannot
be found on the classpath.
Does anybody have any idea to refer to a dependency from within a plugin?

Thanks in advance,
Leslie Bertels.

Some extra info:

My pom:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project>
        <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
        <groupId>my.group</groupId>
        <artifactId>my.artifact</artifactId>
        <version>1.0.0</version>
        <build>
                <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                                <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</
artifactId>
                                <configuration>
                                        <source>1.5</source>
                                        <target>1.5</target>
                                </configuration>
                        </plugin>
                        <plugin>
                                <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId

                                <artifactId>maven-pmd-plugin</artifactId>
                                <executions>
                                        <execution>
                                                <goals>
                                                        <goal>check</goal>
                                                        <goal>cpd-check</
goal>
                                                </goals>
                                        </execution>
                                </executions>
                        </plugin>
                </plugins>
        </build>
        <dependencies>
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>my.pmd</groupId>
                        <artifactId>ownpmdrules</artifactId>
                        <version>0.0.1</version>
                </dependency>
        </dependencies>
        <reporting>
                <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                                <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId

                                <artifactId>maven-pmd-plugin</artifactId>
                                <configuration>
                                        <sourceEncoding>utf-8</
sourceEncoding>
                                        <minimumTokens>100</minimumTokens>
                                        <targetJdk>1.5</targetJdk>
                                        <rulesets>
                                                <ruleset>
src/main/pmd/projectrules.xml</ruleset>
                                        </rulesets>
                                </configuration>
                        </plugin>
                </plugins>
        </reporting>
</project>

The exception:

[INFO] [pmd:pmd]
[WARNING] Unable to locate Source XRef to link to - DISABLED
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetNotFoundException: Can't find resource
rulesets/hondarules.xml. Make sure the resource is a valid file or URL or
is on the CLASSPATH
        at
net.sourceforge.pmd.util.ResourceLoader.loadResourceAsStream(ResourceLoader.java:28)
        at
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleNodeWithExclude(RuleSetFactory.java:410)
        at
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseExternallyDefinedRuleNode(RuleSetFactory.java:356)
        at
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleNode(RuleSetFactory.java:294)
        at
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.createRuleSet(RuleSetFactory.java:230)
        at
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.createRuleSet(RuleSetFactory.java:202)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.pmd.PmdReport.executeReport(PmdReport.java:176)
        at
org.apache.maven.reporting.AbstractMavenReport.generate(AbstractMavenReport.java:98)
        at
org.apache.maven.reporting.AbstractMavenReport.execute(AbstractMavenReport.java:73)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:420)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:493)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:463)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:278)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:330)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:123)
        at
        at
        at
        at
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] An error has occurred in PMD Report report generation.

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or the entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you have received it by mistake, please let the sender know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system.
If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Honda Europe NV is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.

Re: Maven PMD plugin configuration

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> I did have to figure out that the <dependencies> tag is invalid when used
> in the reporting/plugins/plugin section.
> I had to refer to it in the build section.

Ah yes, sorry about that, you're right. I just edited the pom
configuration in your email directly without actually testing it.

Wayne

Re: Maven PMD plugin configuration

Posted by Leslie Bertels <Le...@honda-eu.com>.
Wayne,

I did not know yet that plugins could have a dependency reference.
I did have to figure out that the <dependencies> tag is invalid when used
in the reporting/plugins/plugin section.
I had to refer to it in the build section.

Thank you very much for the help.
Regards,
Leslie.

And for those who are interested how the pom looks like after having fixed
it, here it is:

[...]

"Wayne Fay" <wa...@gmail.com>
09/03/2007 16:04
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Maven PMD plugin configuration

Plugin nodes can take dependencies directly. Try this instead:

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.