Posted to wsrp4j-user@portals.apache.org by "ravishankar, narayanan nair" <ra...@crimsonlogic.com> on 2004/01/23 00:17:48 UTC

Some suggestions please

Hi,

I am a newbie to WSRP4J and found it very useful. However I am not clear
whether for the following application, how can I use it, please help.

I have some J2EE applications A, B, C, D, E within our intranet. I would
like to change all these applications as Web Services complaint, hence
making all these as Services. Assume that different protocols like JMS,
Jabber, SOAP etc can invoke these applications.

Now to my intranet environment, an outside request (means outside
corporate firewall) is coming in. I want to implement a gateway which
will accept this incoming HTTP or SOAP request and the gateway will
route it to the corresponding service A, B, C, D or E by converting the
incoming request to correct protocol and then will give back the
response. This is the problem. In other words consumers are many.

How can I use WSRP4J for this problem, Thanks a lot for your time and
valuable responses.

Thanks and regards,
Ravi

Re: Some suggestions please

Posted by Richard Jacob <ja...@apache.org>.
ravishankar, narayanan nair wrote:

> I have some J2EE applications A, B, C, D, E within our intranet. I
> would like to change all these applications as Web Services complaint,
> hence making all these as Services. Assume that different protocols
> like JMS, Jabber, SOAP etc can invoke these applications.
>

> Now to my intranet environment, an outside request (means outside
> corporate firewall) is coming in. I want to implement a gateway which
> will accept this incoming HTTP or SOAP request and the gateway will
> route it to the corresponding service A, B, C, D or E by converting
> the incoming request to correct protocol and then will give back the
> response. This is the problem. In other words consumers are many.

I don't get the point, what is the problem if you have many clients
comming in?

> How can I use WSRP4J for this problem, Thanks a lot for your time and
> valuable responses.

well wsrp4j provides a WSRP producer (and consumers).
In essence the producer bridgres to the pluto container hosting jsr168
portlets and exposes them as wsrp services.
However in your case you would need to write a wsrp producer acting as a
gateway (as you say it) and translating the calls to your apps accordingly.
wsrp4j has a "provider" architecture where one of these provides is
indeed the pluto container.
You could write your own provider plugging in into the wsrp4j producer.
So basically the infrastructure is there to some extent, you need to
write your own provider here.

cu
Richard