Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Jens Schumann <je...@void.fm> on 2003/07/23 22:01:45 UTC

Frontend Host

Repost from Axis-User. If there isn't such a thing I will provide a patch.

Hi all,

Several application servers offer a mechanism to announce a public hostname
to be used for all automatic generated urls of this instance. This way a
server can run behind a load balancer or proxy easily, using the public
hostname + port.

Currently I do need this functionality for the auto generated WSDL of Axis.
I did find a way to specify an endpoint URL using <endpointURL> per service,
which is rather helpful. What I am looking for is a way to globally announce
a frontend hostname and port which will be used by all services specified
through server-config.wsdd. Did I miss something while searching the
configuration options?

Jens

Re: Frontend Host

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Jens Schumann wrote:

> On 7/24/03 12:57 AM Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> wrote:
>

>>It would be good to do this...for load balancing you may need more than
>>hostname and port, you may need a base url prefix
>

> OK. I will do it. .oO(As usual it may take some time ...)
>
> Jens

sometimes you can extract from the servlet request the URL used, but
this causes confusion if the initial req comes in from localhost during
post-deploy httpunit tests, and you want external requests to come in
from elsewhere.

The other approach is not to bind the URLs once and forever, but reflect
the caller's request. So if I come in behind the firewall, I get
different URLs back than from an external caller.

Re: Frontend Host

Posted by Jens Schumann <je...@void.fm>.

Re: Frontend Host

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.