Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2002/12/04 02:59:57 UTC

Re: API documentation

Karl Fogel wrote:

>>The point is, though, that Doxygen generates superb html docs, and this
>>is something we'll need before 1.0.
>>

>Okay, let's go for it.
>
>If you can do a few doc strings right away, then the rest of us can
>probably starting tweaking stuff as we go (no need to lay this burden
>on just one person).

There ya go, r3978 and r3979. To generate the documentation, run

    $ doxygen doc/doxygen.donf

from the top of the source tree. That'll create HTML documentation of
the public API in doc/doxygen/html. Note: no make targets for this yet,
as I couldn't be bothered to make it work for objdir != srcdir builds yet.

I've added minimal annotations subversion/include/svn_time.h.

Re: API documentation

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx> writes:
> I'm not opposed to doing that, but I'm just not thrilled that File Sharing is
> really for downloading files instead of normal browsing.  With Konqueror at
> least, HTML files show up in a separate browser window with no forward/back
> buttons or menu.  I guess File Sharing wouldn't be toooo bad.
>
> Other options are to post a tarball or .zip file containing all the docs,
> which still isn't browseable, but probably should be done anyway for offline
> browsing.

Well, if you want to post them to File Sharing right now, go for it.
The auto-updated browseable web site is not on our backmost burner at
the moment, but not the frontmost either... :-)

-K

Re: API documentation

Posted by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>.

Re: API documentation

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx> writes:
> Sure, it should be easy enough to generate the HTML after API changes.  I
> guess all I would need is [S]FTP and/or SSH access to the working copy from
> which the website is hosted.

Oh, I was asking about uploading to a File Sharing area, actually.

Updating a live website this is actually a little more complex than
one might think, as we'd probably have to host the doxgenated website
on svn.collab.net and redirect to it from subversion.tigris.org (which
is an svn working copy, but not one that a post-commit script can
easily affect).  This is because our svn server is not on
subversion.tigris.org, but on svn.collab.net.

We'll investigate, and only take you up on your offer if it's not easy
to Just Do It.  Thanks!

-K

Re: API documentation

Posted by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>.

Re: API documentation

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx> writes:
> Not that any of this is too hard or tedious to do (far from it), but
> are there plans to occasionally post online copies to the web site
> (just as there are prebuilt copies of the book and other docs)?

Is that a volunteer I hear?

Re: API documentation

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
"Mats Nilsson" <ma...@xware.se> writes:
> Or regularly commit the resulting files to some part of the svn
> repository to make them browseable at svn.collab.net. ;-)

No, since they're generated files.

It would be nice to have them browseable from the web site, of course.
A way to achieve that is to have commits update a live working copy
and run doxygen there.  Just no need to commit generated files.

RE: API documentation

Posted by Mats Nilsson <ma...@xware.se>.
> From: pdavis152@attbi.com [mailto:pdavis152@attbi.com] On Behalf Of
Peter Davis
> Not that any of this is too hard or tedious to do (far from it), but
are there
> plans to occasionally post online copies to the web site (just as
there are
> prebuilt copies of the book and other docs)?

Or regularly commit the resulting files to some part of the svn
repository to make them browseable at svn.collab.net. ;-)

Mats

Re: API documentation

Posted by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>.

Re: API documentation

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Karl Fogel wrote:

>Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
>

>>All we need now is a volunteer to go through our public header files
>>and convert CAPITALIZED arguments into @a arguments.
>>

>Or an organized effort, divided among many people...
>
>But first, is there a volunteer who wants to take this on?

i don't have anything better to do tonight...

if nobody else jumps up with patches before then, i'll start converting
things over.

-garrett

Re: API documentation

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Re: API documentation

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:

> There ya go, r3978 and r3979. To generate the documentation, run
>
>     $ doxygen doc/doxygen.donf

Oooh, purty.

I had to build /usr/ports/devel/doxygen, which in turn decided to
build all of QT as a dependency (!!!), but still, relatively painless.