Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> on 2004/08/17 23:21:31 UTC

Proxy Load Balancer

I've just looked at the new code - thanks folks.  My own interest in
proxying is with HTTP backends, both in forward and reverse contexts,
and doing so efficiently.

Couple of questions:

(1) The proxy balancer directives are implemented in mod_proxy.c,
    not proxy_balancer.c.  Was this necessary?

(2) ISTR some discussion of generic connection pooling, but I don't
    see it in the code.  Am I missing something, or is this still TBD?

--
Nick Kew

Re: Proxy Load Balancer

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Nick Kew wrote:

>>proxy_balancer should in theory provide the algorithm to do the
>>balancing, while the generic directives to specify the members of the
>>cluster could be generically specified.
>

> Indeed.  But not all of us have a cluster or want clustering code.

A single server with a single backend is a cluster of one. Sometimes
it's more efficient to have one block of code that is capable of being 1
to n, rather than one block of code for one, and another block of code
for two or more. It probably could be looked at in more detail - it some
of the mod_backhand algorithms get ported to proxy the directives might
be re-looked at to see if they belong in proxy or in balancer.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Proxy Load Balancer

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Graham Leggett wrote:

> > (1) The proxy balancer directives are implemented in mod_proxy.c,
> >     not proxy_balancer.c.  Was this necessary?
>
> proxy_balancer should in theory provide the algorithm to do the
> balancing, while the generic directives to specify the members of the
> cluster could be generically specified.

Indeed.  But not all of us have a cluster or want clustering code.

> > (2) ISTR some discussion of generic connection pooling, but I don't
> >     see it in the code.  Am I missing something, or is this still TBD?
>
> The connection pool is there, it's implemented using apr_reslist.

/me kicks himself for not looking inside proxy_util.c :-(

Thanks.

--
Nick Kew

Re: Proxy Load Balancer