Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <sc...@apache.org> on 2023/06/12 20:10:02 UTC

[ANN] Apache Tomcat 10.1.10 available

The Apache Tomcat team announces the immediate availability of Apache
Tomcat 10.1.110.

Apache Tomcat 10 is an open source software implementation of the
Jakarta Servlet, Jakarta Server Pages, Jakarta Expression Language,
Jakarta WebSocket, Jakarta Authentication and Jakarta Annotations
specifications.

Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10
without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier
may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat
will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the
webapps directory. This conversion is performed using the Apache Tomcat
migration tool for Jakarta EE tool which is also available as a separate
download for off-line use.

The notable changes compared to 10.1.9 include:

- Add support for virtual threads. (Java 21+ only)

- Update HTTP/2 to use the RFC-9218 prioritization scheme.

- Deprecate the xssProtectionEnabled from HttpHeaderSecurityFilter
   and set the default value to false.

- Update Tomcat Native to 2.0.4 which includes binaries for Windows
   built with OpenSSL 3.0.9.

Please refer to the change log for the complete list of changes:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.1-doc/changelog.html

Downloads:
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-10.cgi

Migration guides from Apache Tomcat 8.5.x and 9.0.x:
http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

Enjoy!

- The Apache Tomcat team

Re: Deploying Multiple versions of Apache Tomcat on the same physical server/Machine

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Shakila,

On 6/14/23 12:33, Shakila Rajaiah wrote:
> I have several java applications running on different production servers.
> I have the first production server set up to run Java 1.8 and apache-tomcat-9.0.46.
> I have the second production server set up to run Java 11 and apache-tomcat-10.0.27 due to different programming needs that were not available in Java 8.
> Is there any way that I can deploy the two versions of the apache-tomcat-servers on the same physical machine? How will I be able to set up up JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME environmental variables?

What kind of servers? This is possible on both Windows and *NIX-style
servers.

You want to use a "split Tomcat" installation. Have a look at the
RUNNING.txt file in the Tomcat distribution for details.

There is also a 45-minute presentation on this topic available here:
https://tomcat.apache.org/presentations.html#latest-split-installation

-chris

Re: AW: Deploying Multiple versions of Apache Tomcat on the same physical server/Machine

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Alex,

On 6/14/23 15:28, a.grubner@bluewin.ch wrote:
> To be honest, on a production server, I would never install more than one application - of course, if possible. Just the fact, when the server dies, what do you do then? When it is a critical product, then distribute it. Technically, I cannot tell you - but just from this point of view, I would never do this. Also when you need to investigate things, many processes, to which belongs what...
>
> Anyways, maybe people can tell you how to do it - I would not go this way.

Physical servers are expensive. Sharing is appropriate in these types of
environments.

Thanks,
-chris

Posted by a....@bluewin.ch.
Hello

To be honest, on a production server, I would never install more than one application - of course, if possible. Just the fact, when the server dies, what do you do then? When it is a critical product, then distribute it. Technically, I cannot tell you - but just from this point of view, I would never do this. Also when you need to investigate things, many processes, to which belongs what...

Anyways, maybe people can tell you how to do it - I would not go this way.

Best
Alex