Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by Christian Wolf <ch...@wolf-stuttgart.net> on 2016/03/10 13:17:06 UTC

Newbie questions

Hello to everyone!

I am a new user of OM and I would like to ask you some questions.

1.
I tried on a demo installation the usage of OM. I looked for the
possibility to record a session (that is the white board and audio). I
intend this to have a offline backup/copy of the topics discussed in the
meeting.
I did not find a solution to manage this from the administrator point of
view. I achieved something similar by using a second user (not the
admin), logging in the room and giving permission to record the screen.
But this recorded the desktop of the named user instead of the pure
presentation. I could crop it manually but this seems not ideal.
Am I doing things wrong? Or is OM not capable of doing these things as I
would like it to be done?
Especially I would like to avoid the need of two machines/monitors to be
able to record a session.

2.
After some tests with the recording (and some problems due to wrong
converter settings), I removed from the OM GUI all test recordings. Now
the webapps/openmeeting/streams/hibernate folder still holds much
storage. Can I somehow get rid of it?
I have read of doing a backup-reinstallation-restore cycle but this is
not ok for a production environment to clean up on a regular basis. Am I
missing something here?

Thanks a lot
Christian

Re: Newbie questions

Posted by Christian Wolf <ch...@wolf-stuttgart.net>.
Hello again,

I am administrator of the room (either by setting or by being the first
person in the room).

OK, this I found using the second user. But if I am the admin, I need to
click on the icon in the upper right corner to get the launcher
running... I found finally the button to start recording using the admin.

However I wonder about a few other things:
The recording seems to be a screencast of my machine. I can restrict the
area of recording but as far as I can tell this is of relative low
quality and contains the tool bars as well.

If I wanted to publish/archive the material for later use, it would be
nice if
a) Any background image like a PDF presentation is hi-res.
b) No tool bar clobbers the view of the whiteborad in the recording.
Especially no tool bar the visitors of the webinars/meetings do not
know/recognize.
Am I doing things wrong or is this intentionally implemented this way/a
feature?

What do you do in this topic? Are you post-processing the flv?

I will see, if the recording is going to work (including audio) if I try
it with a dummy user and multiple PCs. So far I used only one machine.

With respect to "admin dashboard": This seems to be useful to me. I am
looking forward to see this running.

Thanks a lot so far for you valuable answer
Christian

Re: Newbie questions

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Christian,

1) you definitely can record everything without second user :)
I believe you are using conference/restricted room to perform recording
So you need to enter the room with moderator rights: (one of the following
need to be true)
1. you need to be admin in the system
2. it need to be "your" personal room
3. this need to be "not moderated" room and you need to be first visitor
4. it need to be "moderated" room and you should be listed as moderator

you need to start screen-sharing application, select area and start
recording :)

2) You can use "Command line admin" (admin.sh/admin.bat) to achieve this
I plan to add "admin dashboard" with additional functionality like: clean
up broken files/recordings :)

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax