Posted to users@maven.apache.org by dv...@clever-age.com on 2003/04/15 11:06:51 UTC

[CallbackCache] Problems with dynamic preGoal and postGoal

Hi Jason, hi all,

Would like to know if some people are working on the PluginManager and
PluginCacheManager ?? I would like to make and submit some changes. Here
is what i noticed:
Plugins that declare preGoals and postGoals on a goal X have their name
cached in order to speed-up the determination of plugins to load when the
goal X is encountered. This means that nobody can create preGoals or
postGoals dynamically, i.e. like:
<preGoal name="${goalName}">
    <!-- ... -->
</preGoal>

I have two possibilities to enable this. (1) disable the cache ;) which i
think is not a good idea, even if it is a bit fuzzy (i mean the parse()
method) (2) add a special callbackCache for per and post goals defined
with a variable (my clue is that it contains a $, am i wrong ?).
So the question is, does anyone is working on something similar. Where do
you all want to go with the plugin cache ???? Should i stop now of
continue and is it the good way ?
Thanks. Didier.

Re: [CallbackCache] Problems with dynamic preGoal and postGoal

Posted by dv...@clever-age.com.
> On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 08:51, dvillevalois@clever-age.com wrote:
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> > Yup. Yesterday I checked in an avalonized Maven core.
>>
>> Yes where can i find it in the CVS. I just updated yesterday evening
>> and AbstractMavenComponent is not avalonized at all.
>
> cvs.apache.org/maven-core

Really impatient to get my cvs access back at home this evening ;). Maybe
someone could send me directly a snapshot this afternoon or point me to a
nighlty snap ??? But i may wait...
To conclude about this discussion. I think i will stop the Aggregator
plugin until i see what is the road tonight.
Thanks anyway.
A+. Didier.

Re: [CallbackCache] Problems with dynamic preGoal and postGoal

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 08:51, dvillevalois@clever-age.com wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> > Yup. Yesterday I checked in an avalonized Maven core.
>
> Yes where can i find it in the CVS. I just updated yesterday evening and
> AbstractMavenComponent is not avalonized at all.

cvs.apache.org/maven-core

> > Almost everything
> > is being cleaned up and the PluginManager will be most certainly. For
> > Maven the the three use cases are the usage from the CLI, Continuum and
> > IDE integration. For the plugin manager I'm thinking of plugins written
> > in Java, Jython and Jelly.
>
> Do you have a link so that i find what Continuum is ??

Vincent wants it too :-) I'm shooting for next Monday and I would like
to check that into another repository. Continuum was listed as one of
the seed projects for maven.apache.org. I've been holding off committing
anything until Maven was avalonized. The first cut is very simple and
uses the werkflow and scheduler components from plexus.

> > Goals provided will be made explicit as the
> > magic that happens is not intuitive and doesn't work.
>
> How will this be done ??? Do you mean that jelly-based plugins will have
> to join an additional file with goal declarations (in supplement of goal,
> preGoal, postGoal tags)??

I don't know exactly yet to be honest.

> I don't know how i can help you, but i really want to. I have a solid
> Avalon knowledge,

This is exactly why I avalonized it. Already a few of the maven core
people are hooked on Avalon. I use everyday now myself and many of the
maven/turbine folks have converted over to using Avalon. The avalon
refactoring should also help with general comprehension and I hope allow
many more people to participate. I think this will happen because the
code base is just made simpler by virtue of using components and
contracts for those components. I'm sure you'll be able to help.

> some big problems with preGoal/postGoal and variable
> management in the actual HEAD, really a need for the reactor stuff in
> order to build our projects. So I think i'm enough qualified to help ;).
> As soon as you feel ok to share your code and dispatch work just tell me.

The base is there and I will continue to commit when apmail gets the cvs
mail redirect going.

> A+. Didier.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [CallbackCache] Problems with dynamic preGoal and postGoal

Posted by dv...@clever-age.com.
Hi Jason,

> Yup. Yesterday I checked in an avalonized Maven core.

Yes where can i find it in the CVS. I just updated yesterday evening and
AbstractMavenComponent is not avalonized at all. BTW, i think that the
duplicates PluginManager, DefaultPluginManager, PluginCacheManager and
DefaultPluginCacheManager is reflective of your aim to go through
Avalon...
> Almost everything
> is being cleaned up and the PluginManager will be most certainly. For
> Maven the the three use cases are the usage from the CLI, Continuum and
> IDE integration. For the plugin manager I'm thinking of plugins written
> in Java, Jython and Jelly.

Do you have a link so that i find what Continuum is ??

> Goals provided will be made explicit as the
> magic that happens is not intuitive and doesn't work.

How will this be done ??? Do you mean that jelly-based plugins will have
to join an additional file with goal declarations (in supplement of goal,
preGoal, postGoal tags)?? Or do you just mean that the work the werks
taglib does for registering goal, will be hand-made for java plugins
(which is normal IMHO) ???
> People have
> mentioned the problems before, I've responded but the work will be done
> on the avalonized version of Maven and when it can run everything from
> beta-9, we arrive at agreements on the contracts for then we will be
> ready for 1.0.

I don't know how i can help you, but i really want to. I have a solid
Avalon knowledge, some big problems with preGoal/postGoal and variable

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 09:53, michal.maczka wrote:

> > I hope that Maven will be comprehensible and work well so much so that
> > people say "hey, what's underneath all this stuff anyway?" --> Avalon,
> > Plexus, AspectJ.
>
> So last question: Are you going to move Plexus to Apache (Maven?) ?

No plans to at the moment.

> You are also authoring tools like classworlds etc.
> What are the reasons you prefer to have them as separate projects
> and not to host them under Maven umbrella as a subproject?

Lots of those tools are not specific to Maven at all. ClassWorlds and
Werkz are definitely used in Maven but not specific to Maven and these
are Bob's projects I've just peeked and poked a bit. We're actually
happy with these projects at codehaus.

> I think that will also increase the chance that more people will
> use those things (contribute/ report bugs etc)
> and understand Maven architecture.

I think Maven being Avalonized will be more than enough to raise the
comprehension level to a point where it won't take more than a day to
understand what's going on with Maven. Along with some pretty diagrams.

> Michal

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: [CallbackCache] Problems with dynamic preGoal and postGoal

Posted by "michal.maczka" <mi...@cqs.ch>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 09:12, michal.maczka wrote:
> >For the plugin manager I'm thinking of plugins written
> > in Java, Jython and Jelly.
> >
> I could be that I will need something like this in my project,
> so I am curious:
> Any plan how are you going to do this?
> Pure Maven implementation, BSF or something similar?

No, definitely not BSF.

The direct use of factories in Plexus. In the Avalon container that will
be used I'm working on component factories because I want Java and
Jython components and we have a client you needs ... yes ... TCL
components blahhahah yuck! But there's a Java impl of TCL so I'll be
doing that too.

> Question 2:
> Java plugins - will they use Java as scripting language as it is
> in BSF or you are going to have complied set of classes?

There will be a pure Java API. Things like Jython that can compile down
to bytecode (and the TCL implementation too I believe) will be easy to
integrate. I would also like to support interpreted components as well
but that's not what I need. Most of this stuff will happen on the Plexus
side. Maven plugins will essentially become Avalon components,
specifically running in Plexus which will also use aspectj.

Jim Hugnin was very interested when I told him about Turbine using
aspectj but we really only got past some develop aspects in Turbine. He
was willing to contribute and add some examples because not many
projects were using aspectj at that point. Jim Hugnin is the author of
the AspectJ compiler and the original author of Jython if you're not
familiar with his work.

The strategy has been two fold: first to get aspectj into Maven/Plexus
in order to attract some super smart folk like Jim and to promote
AspectJ which has always been a goal of mine (Actually one of the main
reasons in bringing BCEL to Jakarta which is now being used by the
aspect weaver in AspectJ. When I first met Jim at the first AOP workshop
at PARC it wasn't. Actually the weaving was done in source at that point
... but I digress). The second is to promote Avalon concepts via Maven
and Plexus. Lots of people will be using Avalon and Plexus as the
container and they won't even know it!

I hope that Maven will be comprehensible and work well so much so that
people say "hey, what's underneath all this stuff anyway?" --> Avalon,
Plexus, AspectJ.

> regards
>
> Michal
>
> P.S.
>
> It all sounds greate!

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: [CallbackCache] Problems with dynamic preGoal and postGoal

Posted by "michal.maczka" <mi...@cqs.ch>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 05:06, dvillevalois@clever-age.com wrote:
> Hi Jason, hi all,
>
> Would like to know if some people are working on the PluginManager and
> PluginCacheManager ??

Yup. Yesterday I checked in an avalonized Maven core. Almost everything
is being cleaned up and the PluginManager will be most certainly. For
Maven the the three use cases are the usage from the CLI, Continuum and
IDE integration. For the plugin manager I'm thinking of plugins written
in Java, Jython and Jelly. Goals provided will be made explicit as the
magic that happens is not intuitive and doesn't work. People have