Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Steven Rowe <sa...@syr.edu> on 2007/04/09 19:17:37 UTC

release:perform vs. scm:bootstrap

Hi,

I'm in the process of converting my (small) organization's Maven 1.X
infrastructure to Maven 2.

As a Maven 2 newbie, I'm curious about the differences between
release:perform and scm:bootstrap, and the reasons why both of these
apparently very similar goals co-exist in Maven2.  The latter seems to
be more Maven-1.X-like, in that you specify a list of actions to perform
(the bootstrap goals), as opposed to the former, which appears to be
more Maven2-like (actions are declared via lifecycle bindings).

Are these differences cosmetic only?  Does anyone use either one or the
other exclusively (and why)?  Or sometimes one, sometimes the other
(again, rationale?)?

Steve

Re: release:perform vs. scm:bootstrap

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <el...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure about what scm:bootstrap does, but I'll tell you what the
release goals do:

For release:prepare, the plugin will update the poms to release versions, do
a successful build, commit changes, and then tag the release. Then it
updates the pom again to the next development version, do another successful
build and then commit the changes.

For release:perform, the plugin will just basically do a deploy of the
artifact to the distribution repository so that it will be available in the
repository.

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
release:perform build released artfiacts base on release.property created by
release:prepare.
I does more than scm:boostrap does ( like bundle source artifact, etc )

However,  if you dont have release.property, scm:bootstrap can be used to
rebuild your artifacts
I hardly use it thou, But it is a fantastic single command ( to show off how
good maven is )
to do the entired build for both snapshot and release builds. Your boss
loves it.

-Dan

Posted by Phill Moran <pj...@rogers.com>.
Newbie to newbie here