Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by kitplummer <ki...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/09 00:57:25 UTC

is Broker up?

Is there a good strategy for checking to see if the Broker is up, from the
client side?  I need to keep trying to connect until a connection is made...

Any insight?

TIA,
Kit

Re: is Broker up?

Posted by kitplummer <ki...@gmail.com>.
Not sure what I did...but, I now have the auto-reconnect/failover feature
working.  And it does work on the initial connection; the client sits
waiting for the broker to come online.

Re: clouds of brokers ?

Posted by Paul Tomsic <pt...@yahoo.com>.
nevermind, it's the multicast servername
so "multicast://cloudone"

thanks

clouds of brokers ?

durable client after failure?

Posted by Paul Tomsic <pt...@yahoo.com>.
How do i set up a topic such that it has "knowledge"
of who has received what message?
The reason for this, is, say a consumer is grabbing
msgs from topic[a], and gets 1,2,3,4 then dies.
when that consumer reconnects, i don't want it to
re-retrieve 1-4, but rather start at 5 and proceed
from there.
?

Re: is Broker up?

Posted by kitplummer <ki...@gmail.com>.

James.Strachan wrote:

> On 5/9/06, kitplummer <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> James.Strachan wrote:

>> > How about letting ActiveMQ do that for you?
>> >
>> > http://activemq.org/How+do+I+configure+automatic+reconnection
>> >
>> > you can also register a transport listener to listen for the
>> > connection state if you really want to do stuff manually yourself
>> >

>> http://activemq.codehaus.org/maven/apidocs/org/apache/activemq/ActiveMQConnection.html#addTransportListener(org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportListener)
>> >

>> I tried the automatic reconnection thing...but, it didn't seem to work if
>> the Broker wasn't available for the initial connection.
>
> In what way didn't it work? Did it 'hang' is that what you mean? We
> can't connect to a non-existing broker, so all we can do is to keep
> trying to connect. What else could you do?

I get an exception:

javax.jms.JMSException: Could not connect to broker URL:
tcp://localhost:61616. Reason: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

Which is what i'd expect.  Here's the URL I passed:

String url = "failover:tcp://localhost:61616";

I have two apps.  The first runs the broker.  The second is a JMS client.  I
need to provide the robustness to allow for the second to start first, and
keep trying to connect until the broker app comes up.

I probably could've explained this better from the get-go...sorry.

FWIW, If I start the broker first, the client second - then kill the broker
- the client crashes...and it doesn't look like it is trying to reconnect.
Here's the exception:

Caught: javax.jms.JMSException: The transport
tcp://localhost/127.0.0.1:61616 of type:
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport is not running.
     [java] javax.jms.JMSException: The transport

Re: is Broker up?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

--

James