Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/10/11 23:07:16 UTC

Re: Tomcat extensions for ASPs

Hi,

The general rule of thumb for this sort of thing is that the project must
have at least 3 developers involved and at least one "champion" from Apache
to kickstart it. The reason for this is is that we need some way to
guarenteee that the project will be a success and that there will still be
developers involved with in a years or twos time. So you need to include this
sort of information in your proposal.

It would also be good to contrast it with existing Apache projects. ie How
does it compare to something like turbine?

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: ASPizer

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Hi,

had a browse through all the documentation and it seems like an interesting
and useful product. There is parts where it clearly overlaps existing
products at Apache but there is other parts that look good.

They have a BuisnessObjects layer which is similar in role to torque (from
turbine) - basically a cut down lightweight version of EJBs,

They also have a workflow layer which sounds similar to the workflow
component in commons. However it looks like it is more fully matured and that
the view / transitions / model are completely separated from controller.
Looks interesting anyways.

It is difficult to asses the rest without having a look at the code but the
rest of the framework looks monolithic to a degree. I am not sure how easy it
would be to incorporate bits into a struts/turbine or other style setup but
it is interesting.

--
Cheers,

Pete

RE: ASPizer

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Don't freak out Paul. Jon is just being his usual self.

OTOH, he is the only Apache member I am aware of with this kind
of "self".

Have fun,
Paulo

http://www.krankikom.de
http://www.ruhronline.de

RE: ASPizer

Posted by Paul Ilechko <Pa...@thbs.com>.

Re: ASPizer

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:

| on 10/15/01 11:15 AM, "Paul Ilechko" <Pa...@thbs.com> wrote:
|
| > Peter and Jon, thanks for the feedback, sorry I didn't get a chance to respond
| > sooner.
| >
| > A few comments:
| >
| > ASPizer is currently a production quality product, and in fact is being used
| > on a live website in the UK. It was developed as a product by THBS, with the
| > intention that we would sell it. However, due to various economic factors such
| > as the decline in the ASP market and the recent difficulties in obtaining
| > venture capital, we have decided that at this time it is not feasible for is
| > to continue in that direction.
|
| We aren't a dumping ground for .bomb projects.

Why are you such an _asshole_ on mailing lists, Jon??

I just cannot believe your emails. They are such shit shometimes, it is
just amazing!

Go Jon, Go Jon, Go Jon, Go JOOOOOOONNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!

Endre.

--
Mvh,