Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Manupriya <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/27 10:14:45 UTC

Out of memory exception in ActiveMQ

Hi,

We have the following requirement -

1. We read a flat file that has around 2 million rows.
2. For each row we do some processing and create a JMS message and put it in
an ActiveMQ topic.
3. We have a consumer that consumes each of there messages and then does
some processing.
4. We need the topic to be able to handle around 2 million messages.

I am getting memory out of bound exception after 30000 messages are created
and put on the topic.

We are assuming, as there are only one consumer for the topic, messages
should be removed from the topic once it is consumed.

Thanks,
Manupriya

Re: Out of memory exception in ActiveMQ

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Great stuff - thanks Gary! :)

2008/8/28 Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>:
> trying to pull this information together, there is some more detail
> at: http://activemq.apache.org/javalangoutofmemory.html
>
> 2008/8/27 James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>:
>> Try increase your heap; as a broker and mule server and JMS client is
>> gonna use up RAM.
>>
>> To reduce the memory overhead of the JMS client you can reduce the prefetch...
>> http://activemq.apache.org/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html
>>
>> the out of the box broker config should be fine but if you're really
>> short of RAM you can reduce the usageManager settings
>>

>> 2008/8/27 Manupriya <ma...@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> We are using following -
>>>
>>> 1. ActiveMQ 5.1
>>> 2. I have not set JVM heap to any value.
>>> 3. We are running a mule server.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Out of memory exception in ActiveMQ

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Try increase your heap; as a broker and mule server and JMS client is
gonna use up RAM.

To reduce the memory overhead of the JMS client you can reduce the prefetch...
http://activemq.apache.org/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html

the out of the box broker config should be fine but if you're really
short of RAM you can reduce the usageManager settings

2008/8/27 Manupriya <ma...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> We are using following -
>
> 1. ActiveMQ 5.1
> 2. I have not set JVM heap to any value.
> 3. We are running a mule server.
> 4. Both the consumer and broker are using the same JVM.
>
> Thanks,
> Manu
>

> James.Strachan wrote:
>>
>> Which version are you using? What did you set your JVM heap to? Which
>> JVM got the OOM exception, the broker or the consumer?
>>
>> This document helps you get better help quicker
>> http://activemq.apache.org/support.html
>>
>> 2008/8/27 Manupriya <ma...@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have the following requirement -
>>>
>>> 1. We read a flat file that has around 2 million rows.
>>> 2. For each row we do some processing and create a JMS message and put it
>>> in
>>> an ActiveMQ topic.
>>> 3. We have a consumer that consumes each of there messages and then does
>>> some processing.
>>> 4. We need the topic to be able to handle around 2 million messages.
>>>
>>> I am getting memory out of bound exception after 30000 messages are
>>> created
>>> and put on the topic.
>>>
>>> We are assuming, as there are only one consumer for the topic, messages
>>> should be removed from the topic once it is consumed.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Manupriya
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> James
>> -------
>> http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Open Source Integration
>> http://open.iona.com

James
-------
http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Out of memory exception in ActiveMQ

Posted by Manupriya <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Which version are you using? What did you set your JVM heap to? Which
JVM got the OOM exception, the broker or the consumer?

This document helps you get better help quicker
http://activemq.apache.org/support.html

2008/8/27 Manupriya <ma...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> We have the following requirement -
>
> 1. We read a flat file that has around 2 million rows.
> 2. For each row we do some processing and create a JMS message and put it in
> an ActiveMQ topic.
> 3. We have a consumer that consumes each of there messages and then does
> some processing.
> 4. We need the topic to be able to handle around 2 million messages.
>
> I am getting memory out of bound exception after 30000 messages are created
> and put on the topic.
>
> We are assuming, as there are only one consumer for the topic, messages
> should be removed from the topic once it is consumed.
>
> Thanks,
> Manupriya

James
-------