Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2010/01/26 03:40:35 UTC

new HBase 0.20 on Hadoop 0.21 branch

I have opened a branch for 0.20 (currently 0.20.3 RC2) updated to run on Hadoop 0.21
(currently 0.21-dev) It's passing all unit tests now.

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/hbase/branches/0.20_on_hadoop-0.21

The aim is for client API compatibility. This is an intermediate step for upgrading
to 0.21 so HDFS improvements, e.g. hflush and we hope also HDFS-630, can be
incorporated immediately through an upgrade of the deployment but without requiring
any change to users of the HBase client API or the Thrift or Stargate connectors.

Unlike the 0.20 on Hadoop 0.18.3 branch, the 0.20 on 0.21 branch has a more
aggressive strategy for back end changes -- things that touch HDFS and/or a major
performance win may go in, evaluated on a case by case basis, as long as they do
not change client side API or semantics. For example, the HLog and related THBase
improvements from HBase trunk have been backported.

I do not expect to maintain this branch beyond some transition period, maybe until
0.21.1.

   - Andy

Re: new HBase 0.20 on Hadoop 0.21 branch

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Not 0.19, 0.20.

RPC compatibility is the key. Let 0.20.3 or 0.20.2 clients operate against
HBase running on HDFS 0.21 (with durable WAL etc.) without any change to
the client side.

   - Andy

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Not 0.19, 0.20.