Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by PJ Delsh <pj...@hotmail.com> on 2011/07/08 22:27:18 UTC

Tomcat 6.0.32 stops responding

I have an in-house designed and built SaaS application
that is running on Tomcat and Apache:

Windows Server 2003 SP2

Oracle 11g R2

Java 6 Update 26

Tomcat 6.0.32

Apache HTTPD 2.2.19

-
mod_proxy

-
mod_deflate

-
mod_ssl

For the last several weeks Tomcat stops responding during
the day, sometimes more than once.
The Tomcat
service is still running, but Tomcat is not responding to requests.
Apache & Tomcat services have to be
restarted for the app to start working again.

My guys can’t find anything in the logs that point to the
issue.  We desperately need help.

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 stops responding

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/7/11 PJ Delsh <pj...@hotmail.com>:
> 2- I don't know where in the Tomcat logs or Apache config to look for the connector we are using.

In Tomcat logs when Tomcat is starting up and is opening ports.

For AJP connector and Tomcat 6 the following lines mean that it is
using Java (Bio) implementation of AJP connector:

11.07.2011 19:55:59 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009

and the following if APR implementation is used:

11.07.2011 23:26:13 org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009

The difference is in the class name on the first line of the message.

> 5- I would like to eventually setup more than one Tomcat to act as a failover.

It is documented. Also search archives of this mailing lists - people
sometimes post examples of their configuration.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 stops responding

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 11/07/2011 15:10, PJ Delsh wrote:

> Konstantin,
> 1- We couldn't find anything useful in the Apache logs.

Log data is useful.  Even if it doesn't /appear/ to show an error.

> 2- I don't know where in the Tomcat logs or Apache config to look for the connector we are using.

Carefully remove the XML comments from your Tomcat conf/server.xml and
post the result into an email here, (after testing that it still works).

> 3- How can we connect to Tomcat via the non AJP (if we are using it) to see if Tomcat responds?

By enabling and/or using the HTTP connector, usually on port 8080.

> 4- What can I do with the thread dumps?

Post them here.

> 5- I would like to eventually setup more than one Tomcat to act as a failover.

Woah, there!  One problem at a time please...

Posted by PJ Delsh <pj...@hotmail.com>.
Konstantin,

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by PJ Delsh <pj...@hotmail.com>.

3- If I was to hire a consultant to look into this, can you recommend one?   pjdelsh007@hotmail

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 stops responding

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/7/9 PJ Delsh <pj...@hotmail.com>:

> For the last several weeks Tomcat stops responding during
> the day, sometimes more than once.
> The Tomcat
> service is still running, but Tomcat is not responding to requests.
> Apache & Tomcat services have to be
> restarted for the app to start working again.
>
> My guys can’t find anything in the logs that point to the
> issue.  We desperately need help.

See previous such questions in the archives.

You have to take three thread dumps with small interval between them,
to see what Tomcat is actually doing.  (How to make dumps -> see FAQ).

One usual cause is when you have infinite timeout on you database
connection pool.  So threads are waiting for your DB.  (If you are not
recycling sql objects properly, you may run out of them easily).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko