Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net> on 2014/04/14 19:18:13 UTC

Strange context naming issue

Running TC 7.0.42 on Windows Server 2008 R2 as a windows service, JRE
1.6.0_45 32-bit.

What I'm seeing is that my context path is not being initialized with
the name I expect:

My .war file is named eddSrv.war (lower-case first letter), but the
context is being initialized as EddSrv (upper-case first letter), and
therefore my client app is not able to connect to it.  I have 10 other
identical apps on this server, each listening on a different port, and
they are all working fine.

I am configured with catalina_home different from catalina_base, and do
not have a context.xml anywhere that would override the .war file name
as the context name.  Any idea of where else to look?

Excerpt from catalina.log, showing the .war file being deployed:

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.42
Apr 14, 2014 1:00:35 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive D:\RtData\EddSrv\webapps\eddSrv.war
Apr 14, 2014 1:00:37 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-55015"]
Apr 14, 2014 1:00:37 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 1909 ms

And from the stdout log, showing the context path:

2014-04-14 13:00:32 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initialized
2014-04-14 13:00:37: Context initialized:  'EddSrv'

I have tried setting the logging level to "debug" in tomcat7w, but that
doesn't show anything about where the context name is coming from that I
can find.

Dave

Re: Strange context naming issue

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 4/14/2014 1:24 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> David kerber wrote:
>> Running TC 7.0.42 on Windows Server 2008 R2 as a windows service, JRE
>> 1.6.0_45 32-bit.
>>
>> What I'm seeing is that my context path is not being initialized with
>> the name I expect:
>>
>> My .war file is named eddSrv.war (lower-case first letter), but the
>> context is being initialized as EddSrv (upper-case first letter), and
>> therefore my client app is not able to connect to it.  I have 10 other
>> identical apps on this server, each listening on a different port, and
>> they are all working fine.
>
> And how do /their/ names look like ? Any also with an initial lowercase
> letter ?
> Just fishing..

They are also named with the lower-case leading letter.

I did some more fishing, and pulled up and entry in web.xml that made
the difference, though I don't know why:  the <display-name> entry had
the capital E, and when I changed it to lower-case, things started
working.  I must have missed the ability in the docs for that to change
the working context path.  I also don't know why that got changed in the
first place...

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> On 4/14/2014 1:33 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

>>> Running TC 7.0.42 on Windows Server 2008 R2 as a windows service, JRE
>>> 1.6.0_45 32-bit.
>>>
>>> What I'm seeing is that my context path is not being initialized with the
>>> name I expect:
>>>
>>> My .war file is named eddSrv.war (lower-case first letter), but the
>>> context
>>> is being initialized as EddSrv (upper-case first letter), and therefore
>>> my
>>> client app is not able to connect to it.  I have 10 other identical apps
>>> on
>>> this server, each listening on a different port, and they are all working
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> I am configured with catalina_home different from catalina_base, and do
>>> not
>>> have a context.xml anywhere that would override the .war file name as the
>>> context name.  Any idea of where else to look?
>>>

>>> Excerpt from catalina.log, showing the .war file being deployed:
>>>
>>> INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.42
>>> Apr 14, 2014 1:00:35 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
>>> INFO: Deploying web application archive
>>> D:\RtData\EddSrv\webapps\eddSrv.war
>>> Apr 14, 2014 1:00:37 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
>>> INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-55015"]
>>> Apr 14, 2014 1:00:37 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
>>> INFO: Server startup in 1909 ms
>>>

>>> And from the stdout log, showing the context path:
>>>
>>> 2014-04-14 13:00:32 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initialized
>>> 2014-04-14 13:00:37: Context initialized:  'EddSrv'
>>

>> What prints the above message to System.out?
>

> I don't know; I do know that it's not my app...

It might be some unrelated issue. E.g. your catalina.base is named
'EddSrv'. Maybe you are using the same name elsewhere, e.g. to
identify different servers.

You real issue is that you clients cannot connect.

So, what is in the logs? Did your webapp start successfully? Did
Tomcat start successfully and listens on the ports?

You can verify that webapp started (and its name) by looking at a
listing in the Manager web application,  or via JMX (jconsole.exe).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Strange context naming issue

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
>> Running TC 7.0.42 on Windows Server 2008 R2 as a windows service, JRE
>> 1.6.0_45 32-bit.
>>
>> What I'm seeing is that my context path is not being initialized with the
>> name I expect:
>>
>> My .war file is named eddSrv.war (lower-case first letter), but the context
>> is being initialized as EddSrv (upper-case first letter), and therefore my
>> client app is not able to connect to it.  I have 10 other identical apps on
>> this server, each listening on a different port, and they are all working
>> fine.
>>
>> I am configured with catalina_home different from catalina_base, and do not
>> have a context.xml anywhere that would override the .war file name as the
>> context name.  Any idea of where else to look?
>>

>> Excerpt from catalina.log, showing the .war file being deployed:
>>
>> INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.42
>> Apr 14, 2014 1:00:35 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
>> INFO: Deploying web application archive D:\RtData\EddSrv\webapps\eddSrv.war
>> Apr 14, 2014 1:00:37 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
>> INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-55015"]
>> Apr 14, 2014 1:00:37 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
>> INFO: Server startup in 1909 ms
>>

>> And from the stdout log, showing the context path:
>>
>> 2014-04-14 13:00:32 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initialized
>> 2014-04-14 13:00:37: Context initialized:  'EddSrv'
>
> What prints the above message to System.out?

I don't know; I do know that it's not my app...

>> I have tried setting the logging level to "debug" in tomcat7w, but that
>> doesn't show anything about where the context name is coming from that I can
>> find.
>
> You are talking about an issue in a web application.  What is a point
> of changing log level of procrun service wrapper (Apache Commons
> Daemon) ?

I was just fishing for more information; I didn't really expect it to help.

Re: Strange context naming issue

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.