Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/12/13 04:53:44 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create branch for repository mirroring?

Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
> I've posted before about contributing this back to the trunk, but have
> received zero feedback so far.  Is there *any* interest in this? Would
> anyone like to see a branch with this functionality?  -- justin

Yes, here's at least one person who'd like see the patches... Hard to
say more than that without examining firsthand.

-K

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create branch for repository mirroring?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx> writes:
> But then again, properties might be a little unwieldy for holding a lengthy
> design document -- just as far as viewing them goes.  I dunno.

I'd prefer a regular file, personally.  That's the mechanism people
are used to for information like this.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create branch for repository mirroring?

Posted by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create branch for repository mirroring?

Posted by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create branch for repository mirroring?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
> That's fair.  I can write a log message based on what I have, but I do
> realize that some of the code needs to be further tweaked.  I just
> don't want to do that locally.  I could also write a rough design for
> inclusion into 'notes,' if that makes people happy.

Great!

I wonder if the branch-specific documentation shouldn't go into a file
named BRANCH in the top level.  Is there already a de facto convention
for this from other projects?  I don't know.

Do whichever seems best to you.

> I would hope that's not the case with this particular feature.  I'd
> like to get it merged into the trunk, but I'd be lying if I said that
> should happen right now.

Check.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create branch for repository mirroring?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Friday, December 13, 2002 8:34 AM -0600 Karl Fogel
<kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> wrote:

> Sure, but if it's going to go even on a branch, it still needs a log
> message and documentation.  The branch isn't useful to others unless
> meets the same sandbox standards as the rest of Subversion.

Well, my point is that the branch shouldn't necessarily always have
to pass 'make check' or be as stable.  It'd be under development.
You would have to opt-in in order to use this.

> Experimental branches are great as long as they're conducted the
> same way as trunk development -- with the exception that they
> don't necessarily have to build and pass 'make check' at all
> times (the group maintaining the branch can decide about that; I
> mean, there's a reason it's called "experimental"! :-) ).  But
> as far as log messages and documentation go, branches should be
> as thorough as trunk, because people rely on that information to
> follow branch development.

That's fair.  I can write a log message based on what I have, but I
do realize that some of the code needs to be further tweaked.  I just
don't want to do that locally.  I could also write a rough design for
inclusion into 'notes,' if that makes people happy.

> There's no point having a bunch of code dumped into the repository
> if only one or two people know what state it's in and how to use
> it.  It has to be consumable by everyone.

I would hope that's not the case with this particular feature.  I'd
like to get it merged into the trunk, but I'd be lying if I said that
should happen right now.

I want to get this out of my local working copy and start to try to
get other people to give me feedback and assistance.  I can't see a
good way to this other than creating a branch.  -- justin

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create branch for repository mirroring?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:
> +1, perhaps with the addition of something that states that some
> design document or initial (properly formatted) patch should always
> accompany the creation of an experimental branch.  I want to know that
> people are actually making branches with a plan in mind, not just
> floundering about in the repository while they're "still thinking
> about how to do it".

Yah, that's always a good idea.

I'll wait for some more comments (at the very least, would like to
know that Justin does not object), then put something in the HACKING
file.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create branch for repository mirroring?

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
> I'm not looking for a code review at this point - hence, no log
> message.  I won't even tell you how to use it, or configure it.  If
> you sift through the code, you can figure it out though.

Oh :-).  Okay, then I'll wait, thanks.

> I know where there is room for improvement, but I'm guessing I'd like
> a sandbox where I can work on this and share my work with
> others. Eventually, I believe this could be merged into the trunk.
> I'm just not ready for that yet, and I don't care to keep maintaining
> patches like these on my local machine.  This stuff really needs to be
> versioned somewhere!  Due to the lack of cross-repository merges, I
> couldn't even setup a server to do this right on my own.  Stuff like
> this has to live in the CollabNet repository.  -- justin

Sure, but if it's going to go even on a branch, it still needs a log
message and documentation.  The branch isn't useful to others unless
meets the same sandbox standards as the rest of Subversion.

Hmmm, I guess we haven't really had this discussion yet.  This is as
good a time as any...  What I'm proposing is a basic policy on
experimental branches in general:

   Experimental branches are great as long as they're conducted the
   same way as trunk development -- with the exception that they don't
   necessarily have to build and pass 'make check' at all times (the
   group maintaining the branch can decide about that; I mean, there's
   a reason it's called "experimental"! :-) ).  But as far as log
   messages and documentation go, branches should be as thorough as
   trunk, because people rely on that information to follow branch
   development.

It is not costless for our repository to version an experimental
branch.  If the branch is there, people will look at it.  It will get
discussed on the list.  People will start filing issues against it in
the database, etc, etc.  None of which is bad, of course; it's just
that to work well with these processes, the branch needs to meet
certain expectations.

Posted by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com>.
we would like to try it immediately.

even if i don't understand how the authorization is handled (we use
apache-user-control on the main server).

but there is some voices about a push model which i feel not good
about. how could one allow "pushing" something behind a firewall? and
if this is not allowed than the whole idea of caching is useless.

the one check for the revision number on "svn up" is worth a pulll
modell.

in the long run i favour more intelligent proxies, which are (more)
aware of webdav, and delta-v.

but for now, having no such proxies available, justins thing seems to
be great (AND consistent with a future more intelligent proxy --> why
not have a proxy plugin in 2 years which is based on justins code?).

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.