Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Hamilton <be...@benandcassandra.com> on 2002/09/13 08:47:48 UTC

Tomcat4-4.1.10 Startup Issue (LINUX)

Installation:
I've loaded java from the binary install application for j2sdk from the
java.sun.com site. I've modified the /etc/profile to include the
CLASSPATH listed below.
In a directory with three rpms:
tomcat4-4.1.10-full.1jpp.noarch.rpm
tomcat4-admin-webapps-4.1.10-full.1jpp.noarch.rpm
tomcat4-webapps-4.1.10-full.1jpp.noarch.rpm
I've issued the following command.
rpm -i *.rpm
Results in an installation without errors given.

I've created the /etc/java.conf with the line:
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java
/usr/java/bin is the bin directory from the jdk that contains java,
javac and the rest of the binaries for the jdk. /usr/java/lib/ext
contains the .jar files distributed with the jdk and jre.

PROBLEM:
When issuing the command 'tomcat4 run' the error below is generated. To
me there seem to be two problems: 1) "ERROR reading
/var/tomcat4/conf/server.xml". I've made sure that the tomcat4 user owns
the files in /var/tomcat4 and /etc/tomcat4 - besides file permissions
what does tomcat need to read the file? 2) The remaining portion of the
error seems to indicate something in the startup of Catalina cannot find
a class or a file that is apparently critical to a smooth launch.

Are there additional files to modify besides:
/etc/java.conf
/var/tomcat4/conf/tomcat4.conf
?

running "nmap -p 8000-9000 localhost" produces no open ports at various
points during the pause (about 5 seconds) before the errors are
generated.

I know next to nothing about java although in the last few days I've
read through the user archives and have found messages that point to
similar problems on a win32 platform. The results of those posting are
unsolved. I'm hoping this is a configuration issue that I'm just not
getting straight. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
BenH

LINUX Version = RedHat 7.2 (SMP)

java version "1.4.0_01"
Location of java = /usr/java/bin/java
Location of javac = /usr/java/bin/javac

Tomcat4 version = 4.1.10
JAVA_HOME = /usr/java
CATALINA_HOME = /var/tomcat4
CLASSPATH = /usr/java/bin:/usr/java/lib/ext:/var/tomcat4/common/lib

\[system]# tomcat4 run
\
\Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
\Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
\Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
\Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java
\ERROR reading /var/tomcat4/conf/server.xml
\At Line 18 /Server/Listener/
\className=org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener debug=0
\
\Catalina.start: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
\org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener
\java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
\org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener
\        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:198)
\        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
\        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:186)
\        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
\        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:262)
\        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:322)
\        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
\       at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:130)
\       at
\org.apache.catalina.util.xml.ObjectCreate.start(XmlMapper.java:616)
\       at
\org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchStart(XmlMapper.java:412)
\        at
\org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.startElement(XmlMapper.java:91)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXPar
ser.java)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Abstra
ctXMLDocumentParser.java)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNamespaceBinder.emptyElement(XMLNamespaceBind
er.java)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.emptyElement(XMLDTDValidator
.java)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(
XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDi
spatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLD
ocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java)
\        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java)
\        at
\org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.jav
a)
\        at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(SAXParser.java:314)
\        at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(SAXParser.java:253)
\        at
\org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:228)
\        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:725)
\        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
\        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
\        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
\        at
\sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.ja
va:39)
\        at
\sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccesso
rImpl.java:25)
\        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
\        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)