Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/08 08:49:41 UTC

[Vote] Support only Java 7 for all the components

Hi guys,

following a discussion we have had on the dev list regarding the support
of Java 6 and the strain it puts on some of the maven dependencies we
are using, here is a proposal to stop supporting Java 6 and to only
support Java 7 & 8 from now on.

Keep in mind that Java 6 is not anymore supported by Oracle (except for
paying customers) since feb 2013, and Java 7 is out for now 3 years.

So let's vote :

[ ] +1 yes, drop Java 6 and make the projects only supporting Java 7
from now on
[ ] +/- 0 : I don't mind/ no strong opinion
[ ] -1 no, we should keep going and adapt to support Java 6

Many thanks !

Result was [Vote] Support only Java 7 for all the components

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I'm closing this vote with 8 +1 :

Colm,
Felix,
Kiran,
Lucas,
Pierre,
Shawn,
Stefan
and me.

Colm, Pierre, although I was in agreement with your suggestion, the fact
is that we don't anymore support Java 6 as a running JVM for ApacheDS
(Stefan has tested it and many tests are failing).

We will then switch to Java 7+ only for ApacheDS and teh other projects.

Many thanks !

Re: [Vote] Support only Java 7 for all the components

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Lucas Theisen <lu...@pastdev.com>.
+1 for sure.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 08/01/15 21:31, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 01/08/2015 10:50 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Le 08/01/15 10:39, Colm O hEigeartaigh a écrit :
>>> +1. I'd suggest though releasing one more version supporting JDK 1.6 to
>>> allow users time to upgrade.
>> Sure. I was not explicit, but we *can* (§and should at this point) keep
>> the source target to be 1.6
> When I saw the vote and your text I *implicitely* thought you mean Java
> source and compiler target version. Explicit is better than implicit :P

Ok, my bad here. I have been influenced by the suggestion to keep Java 6
as a version we should support for the server, and I wrote that might be
a good idea to use Java 7 to build teh server but keeping Java 6 as a
JVM we can use to run the server.

Considering the dozen errors in ApacheDS with Java 6, I think it's time
to be a bit more drastic here and say we only support Java7 for build
and run.

Sorry for the confusion.

Re: [Vote] Support only Java 7 for all the components

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 01/08/2015 10:50 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 08/01/15 10:39, Colm O hEigeartaigh a écrit :
>> +1. I'd suggest though releasing one more version supporting JDK 1.6 to
>> allow users time to upgrade.
>
> Sure. I was not explicit, but we *can* (§and should at this point) keep
> the source target to be 1.6

When I saw the vote and your text I *implicitely* thought you mean Java
source and compiler target version. Explicit is better than implicit :P

But we should clarify what "Support only Java 7" means.

IMHO, with source/target set to 1.6 we still transport the message "this
code works on Java 6".

Current state using Java 1.6.0_45: API compiles and tests pass. Server
compiles but there a dozen test failures. So we know that there are
problems when using Java 6, on the other hand I guess 98% of the
features work with Java 6.

Anyway, here is my +1.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: [Vote] Support only Java 7 for all the components

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [Vote] Support only Java 7 for all the components

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
We can plan for it. Makes it a lot easier to communicate.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--