Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2013/05/31 10:23:05 UTC

Update on GSOC

Folks,

just a quick update on the GSOC projects.

As you might recall, Dimuthu Upeksha and Bhargav Golla are both writing
(different) Restful viewers this year.  Right now we are in (what Google
call the) "community bonding period", giving Dimuthu and Bhargav the
opportunity to get better acquainted with our code and our community. [1].
 I'm the primary mentor in both cases; Jeroen and Maurizio are the backup
mentors.

They officially start coding on the 17th June (ie that's when Google pays
them their first cheque).  They officially end coding ("pencils down") on
the 16th Sept.

One of the objectives of GSOC is for our students to gain experience of
working in an open source community.  In terms of Apache, that means using
these mailing lists (which both Bhargav and Dimuthu have already been on),
and starting the process towards, ideally, becoming a committer.  Initially
that means by providing patches to our codebase.

With that in mind, during this initial phase I've asked both Bhargav and
Dimuthu to start looking at the far-from-complete integration tests for
Isis' RO viewer [2].  Between the three of us, ideally we can get these
tests all completed  by the end of GSOC.  And they also seem like a good
place for Dimuthu and Bhargav to (a) get more familiar with the Restful
Objects spec, and (b) start contributing patches.

Now Google's guidance on running GSOC projects is to integrate students as
closely as possible, as soon as possible.  I've asked other Apache projects
on their approach, andas ever it depends on the community.

My own view is that, since Bhargav and Dimuthu will primarily be writing
new modules (their respective viewers), that we might feel happy to vote
them in as committers at some stage during their GSOC project.  But that's
just my view; it is for the existing committers to decide.

Hopefully all that's clear; but if anyone has any questions about that, do
of course ask!

And, do please welcome Bhargav and Dimuthu into our little developers
community; it will be kudos to all involved if we can help them make a
success of their projects this year.

Thx
Dan

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013